Dinged?

Just went through the off-cycle interview process. I had two phone interviews that started about a week and a half ago and then an on-site interview with 6 members of the team last Tuesday. The MD said, in front of all the interviewees, we would hear back from them on Monday. Normally I would say forget about the offer by now but, There were only six of us interviewing for two analyst spots, no one else was interviewed. I am acquaintances with two of the guys I was interviewing with and none of us have heard back from the firm. The market meltdown may have thrown off some scheduling/planning last week? What should I be thinking at this point? btw this is an analyst spot for a BB in AM.

You should be thinking, “I am going to follow up with these guys as soon as possible to reiterate my genuine enthusiasm in the position, in hopes that they are still hiring and have decided to bring me on board.”

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You should be thinking, “I am going to follow up > with these guys as soon as possible to reiterate > my genuine enthusiasm in the position, in hopes > that they are still hiring and have decided to > bring me on board.” agree 100% - be proactive and positive

I would at least wait until the end of the week. One day later sounds a little desperate even if they are considering you. 20% chance it was 2 from the “non acquaintance” batch so most likely they havent called anybody and if you are the first to call 24 hours after they told you they would call, and after the events of last week no less, might sound a little needy. Your case for calling would be stronger if we didnt have an unexplained glitch in the market last week that almost sunk the Dow. Plus they might have to get consensus from all 6 colleagues and dont you think they have some pretty big fish to fry at this point?

Well, they did say that he should expect to hear by Monday, so personally I think it would be OK for him to follow up with them tomorrow…maybe it’s just me but I think it’s important for stuff like this to be on time, and as a prospective employee I would expect this from my potential employer…

Left the MD a pretty solid VM. Found out that a candidate that was supposed to be in our little “superday” had his flight canceled on him the morning of the interview. So, they want to give everyone a fighting chance I suppose. Good news though.

Well I got dinged anyway. It came down to myself and an ivy kid with some BB experience. If I was a complete douche I would tell the MD that the kid’s a coke head. Oh well.

Let him figure that part out. He’ll find out in time. Just consider the position reopening in a year.

King_Tut Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I got dinged anyway. It came down to myself > and an ivy kid with some BB experience. If I was > a complete douche I would tell the MD that the > kid’s a coke head. Oh well. Sucks man. I’ve been in a similar situation a few times. I can empathize.

King_Tut Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I got dinged anyway. It came down to myself > and an ivy kid with some BB experience. If I was > a complete douche I would tell the MD that the > kid’s a coke head. Oh well. Sucks man. I’ve been in a similar situation a few times. I can empathize.

Steely Dan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > King_Tut Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well I got dinged anyway. It came down to > myself > > and an ivy kid with some BB experience. If I > was > > a complete douche I would tell the MD that the > > kid’s a coke head. Oh well. > > > Sucks man. I’ve been in a similar situation a few > times. I can empathize. It’s just irritating. I had great grades from a decent school that offered me a free ride. I’d have been a fool to go anywhere else. I’ve learned that finance/banking, especially at the BB level, is about as shallow as it gets, in terms of education prestige. I hate being the underdog before even walking into an interview but, that’s the reality of the situation. I was kind of annoyed that they did not ask me more technical questions during the interview. The other guy was literally reading “Portfolio Management for Dummies” the week before, I sh!t you not.