Discrimination? Or religious freedom?

The KKK has some religious beleifs aswell. Gays, Jews, Blacks all hated with a passion… Are we say this is okay too, or is one religion better than the other?..

This is our right discrimination and should be illegal!! It is almost certainly illegal in the UK.

There was infact a christian couple in the UK who run a bed and breakfast (motel) and banned a gay couple from staying the night in their hotel. They lost the at the supreme court and paid damages to the gay couple.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25119158

At this point?

Not really. Now you’re just being subjective.

Also, these schools exist with community covenants so that people can study in a religious environment. That means if you drink off campus in the summer with your parents when you’re 21, you will get fined and possibly expelled. It means if a star football player gets caught fornicating with his GF, he is kicked off the team. They also believe that the bible clearly states that homosexuality is a sin. Why should they not be allowed to ban that behavior as well? Part of he issue is you’re assuming sexual orientation is a born trait whereas they do not.

Alternately, if drug addiction and alcolholism is a disease is it ok for society to imprison people who are merely sick? Or employers to refuse to hire people with the illness?

But to me what it comes down to is that if someone wants to create an insular community, they should have the right to as long as it is not state funded. I have no desire to join it, but society shouldn’t be imposing their own views or restricting rights of individuals or communities.

From a religious school.

Umm, the KKK is allowed to exist and advocate its views in the US. We have freedom of speech and religion. That’s actually why people came here, remember?

Just my .02

I’m cool with them discriminating but I don’t want my tax dollars directly or indirectly sponsoring any organization that discriminates. So no federal funding whatsoever.

Also, just my opinion- If you can use tax dollars to fund religious organizations that discriminate then there is no reason to defund planned parent based on religious grounds. These zealots we have in congress make me sick with their contradictions.

I assume Planned Parenthood, like religious organizations, is tax exempt. I haven’t heard any of the religious zealots complaining about that (maybe I missed it though). What they do complain about is the direct funding to PP provided by the federal government. I personally believe that PP provides needed services, including abortion, but their argument that federal money is not used to fund abortions is BS. Just because they don’t sit there waiting for a check from the government that has Mary’s Abortion written in the note section doesn’t mean the federal money doesn’t fund abortions. If the federal government wasn’t providing funding for other services, PP would have to get that money somewhere, likely lessening the resources they have available for abortion services.

Yeah you missed it.

http://www.mrc.org/articles/congresswoman-take-away-planned-parenthoods-government-funding-tax-exempt-status

^^^ but but but that video* with the baby parts! They laughed in the video!

*ignoring the fact that the tapes were heavily doctored and PP admitted they received money to cover costs in transportation of the tissue for research (which it has since stopped, so this practice now costs tax payer dollars) but tbh if you are having an abortion why waste the tissue and not use it for science so that one day we may have better treatments for diseases

^ Also I think of this from a utilitarian stand point. I would rather my tax dollars pay for an abortion than foodstamps and services to a single mom raising kids she didn’t want and then pay for that kid’s future lifetime in prison after he grows up in a broken home in a bad neighborhood raised by a gang because his mother (who could have gone to college and had a future) had to instead work 3 jobs.

Does it really matter if the exact penny came from the govt? They have the money to provide these things without the government funding it. If they borrow the funds from the government funded side for a week or so to cover expenses does it really matter?

This issue is really at the heart of why this country is such a joke. We have tens of thousands of wounded soldiers and those with PTSD that came back from fighting an idiotic war for bush/cheney/halliburton and all their oil buddies that we don’t care for and that kill themselves at a rate that is absolutely disgusting. The government is dragging their feet providing support to 9/11 first responders. These are people who provided the people of the US a service and the government fights over supporting them after the fact. Instead we spend time talking about some girl who has a damn abortion as if its the end of the world. Can we address the important issues like income inequality, providing veterans support, healthcare and not this planned parenthood/gun control waste of time.

100% you can not complain about abortions, try and ban them, then complain about providing social services to those that have children at the bottom of the income totem pole. There are NOT adequate services available to support these people, why the hell shouldnt they get a subsidized abortion. It’s cheap as hell in comparison. it also MAY help someone who made a mistake get out of the cycle of poverty. The answer is simply not personal responsibiity as people all around the world have sex, they do stupid things, its in our DNA. Instead of this “personal responsibility” utopia people love to live in, lets live in the real world, look at real numbers, and make the smart decisions.

No argument with that.

It’s obviously discrimination, how much mental gymnastics do you need to do to justify this?

No it’s not. If you believe homosexuality is a behavior and not a born characteristic it is no longer discrimination. See, that was easy.

In fact research has shown less than 50% of sexual preference is determined by genetics. Similarly, if drug addiction is partly genetic is it discrimination to not hire those people?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10637532/Being-homosexual-is-only-partly-due-to-gay-gene-research-finds.html

BS, You are completely ignoring the million other factors that go into who a person is aside from genetics. It also could be because our grasp of human sexuality isn’t strong enough to have a proper study done on it. The major factor here is that anyone who thinks kids grow up chosing to be homosexual is an idiot.

I constantly see young teens posting online crying wishing they weren’t gay, wishing they could be “normal” like everyone else and it is incredibly sad. But hey maybe we can put them in those conversion camps to make them see the light.

Or maybe Christians should focus more on how jesus lived his life and his overall message of helping others as opposed to some stupid symantics in a book written thousands of years ago curated, picked apart, and sawn together, being changed by whoever felt the need at the time.

Do you seriously believe homosexuality is a choice?

Science says it’s only 40% genetic and the rest chalks up to environmental and behavior factors I think that’s pretty fair. Does that mean it was a conscious choice? I really don’t know and don’t care, but it is clearly at least partly a behavior. I’m just saying that there is evidence for both sides.

Listen, I’m not saying I would want to start a school that operated under manner. I also wouldn’t want to attend one. I personally attended a Christian college that did accept gays. I thought that was great. But I also think you absolutely have to respect the rights of people to form their own communities and have their own idealogies. I also think the KKK is moronic, but I’m not campaigning to make it illegal.

My older brother won’t do vacations or holidays with my family because we have a kid out of wedlock and aren’t married yet based on his own misguided views of Christianity. Do I think he’s a dumb asshole? Yes. But I hate this modern era group think where we have to force everyone into a single PC mold. You have to maintain freedom of beliefs.

I guess you missed the part where I said I support Planned Parenthood. Support of the organization and what they do however, does not mean I have to support their BS argument that the federal government doesn’t provide them with abortion funding. Federal funding helps them keep their doors open and women who are getting abortions walk through those doors (i.e. no federal funding for other services, no doors to walk through). While it doesn’t matter to me exactly where the funding comes from, it does to some people and those people have a right to peacefully voice their opposition.

I agree you are allowed to have freedom of your beliefs. Your right to your beliefs ends when it impacts someone elses life.

Your brother is a complete moron, but him not going doesn’t stop you from doing it and enjoying time with your family. It would be like him going on a family vacation and trying to keep you from going while he does. Glad to hear your school accepted homosexuals, and hopefully embraced them. I just think if the tables were turned and the homosexual community wanted to make a college that kept our christians, Fox news would have a field day and want their heads.

The bigger question to me is why on earth you would want to go to a school that doesn’t want you and teaches a philosophy to their students that is that close minded.