Discrimination? Or religious freedom?

Fair enough, must have missed that part of your response. And you are absolutely free to voice your opposition to it, I just think it is one of those issues politicians wedge and use to distract from important issues. From a purely financial perspective abortion funding by the govt would save us a heck of a lot of money.

Oh no, he does this. We don’t get the invite if he helps plan.

Buuut. My point is that in a world with no shortage of colleges, there’s no reason a group can’t create a private college to separate themselves and their beliefs from society and create a certain culture. To your first point, that I bolded, you are limiting their ablity to do that by forcing them to alter their beliefs in a party they threw for themselves.

I’m a free speach advocate first and foremost.

I still fail to see how blocking people from your school is free speech. That is action. I guess I am torn on the issue because obviously people should be able to collect into like groups, but where do you draw the limit. No gays allowed, no blacks allowed, no jews allowed. Its all one group of people putting down another group due to their “beliefs”.

I revert back to my point that if Christians actually spent as much time doing the things Christ did instead of trying to stop people from doing things based on symantix of the bible this country would be in much better shape. Why help the poor when you can keep gays out of your school!

You’ve failed twice, it’s semantics.

If this college were the only college in the entire world, I might be inclined to agree with you.

I went to a small Bible college. The education level is slightly above University of Phoenix, and the prices are still astronomical. Looking back on it, why would a person go to a Bible college unless (1) they are deeply Christian and feel like it’s a better environment, or (2) they plan on becoming a minister?

I assume that if you’re gay, neither 1 nor 2 apply to you, so just go to the next college down the road. The tuition rates will probably be lower and the education will probably be better. So in this case, we haven’t really negatively impacted the person at all, have we?

What if you want to stay in the closet and your “deeply religious” parents want to send you to this school?

By definition you wouldn’t have a problem then, would you?

Possible side effects include depression, anxiety, alcoholism, and suicide.

So go somewhere else and man up. I mean, is the issue here in this hypothetical really that the school doesn’t admit gays? Or rather that you have a closeted gay with a strained relationship with close minded parents going to the school of his parent’s choosing and surrounded by unaccepeting individuals? Is the admission policy going to have any material impact?

But nowhere in this situation is admission the issue for the closeted dude by definition. And if he wasn’t closeted coming up with a logical situation in which this guy’s life is materially altered by not getting into a homophobic backwater university is pretty difficult. Particularly when said university is likely surrounded by 10 better, more affordable universities not stocked full of homophobic morons.

I think a one or two year trial period would be appropriate. No governmental protection until the second birthday is reached. Free to suck brain out until then.

One thing’s for sure, I would not hire graduates from that school. By definition, Universities are supposed to the place where a young mind can flourish without being chained down by any dogmas. Universities should be the place where we learn to think different and find our way not where narrow mindedness is further reinforced.

Yeah. You sound real open minded.

+1

Church of PC

The level of irony in this made my brain hurt.

^The funny thing is, I don’t even think he realizes it.

The funny thing is that the irony should immediately make the point that I was making obvious.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-wheaton-college-professor-larycia-hawkins-20151216-story.html

No, it doesn’t, because no one on our side of the argument is trying to ban you from holding your views or being an asshat or force you to change your stance. We simply disagree with you, but we’re not trying to make every view we disagree with illegal. That is our point.

Fair enough. However, one is held accountable for one’s actions/views. If I chose to go to a college which forced every student to adhere to Sharia law, would you hire me (given that I had a choice and still went there)?

^Buddy, if you can crank out 15 tax returns a day, I don’t care whether or or not you eat BLT’s. I’ll even let you keep your own prayer rug in your office.

Basically what Greenman said. I’m not saying I’m supporting the decision by those schools to be close minded. But I’m a free speech kind of guy and I don’t think the law should assume the role of trying to remove everything that is unpleasant or in disagreement with our views from society. With free speech you’re going to have good days and you’re going to have bad days but it comes with the turf.