Dislike job

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What are some things about the job that you > > dislike? > > The tedium and lack of intellectual stimulation is > difficult to deal with. A high point though, is > that the co-workers are awesome. > > I don’t envision myself at the company long-term > and it’s not the type of work that I want to be in > in general - so it’s tough to become motivated to > do extra, or even enough past the bare minimum. Dude, this is every position I’ve ever had. Wanna burn this mo fo down.

Sub, weren’t u happy to leave the funnance track and write some code ? Anyways, regarding your post they say to stick to jobs at least 2 years. Can you handle ongoing frustration until then for the sake of having no red flags on your cv ? In any case you need to make clear distinctions. Do you “just” hate your job or is your job making you hate your life ? You are talking about anxiety. Is it real physical anxiety that you re talking about ? Dude, I used to think "stress is for pu****s. But it can and it will ruin your life and health. My point is that there is a line after which it is just not worth it. Deep down inside you know if you have crossed that line or if it is something that you can “man up” and deal with. Good luck. Oh and BTW pass by and insult me sometimes, it s getting pretty boring around here.

Yeah, I’m in consulting now so it is code and dealing with people. Not sure if I’ll be able to handle 2 more yea, we will see. I’m taking it one week at a time now - just so painful now. I don’t hate my life. In general, I work to live well, not live to work. Though, I live for AnalystForum. I think I haven’t yet crossed the line of it being “just not worth it.” Thanks for the feedback. Currently working now on Sunday. :frowning:

man, i hate my job so much I’m looking to get into retail banking so I can sell loans and mutual funds to unsophisticated investors. So far having no luck with that, so I am more then a little frustrated.

there is no magic number as to how long you should stay at a job. if you are good at what you do then you will be in demand. pretty simple. leave if you don’t like it.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would just leave as soon as you have another > offer, life is short. Agree. Just land something you want to do and give notice, nobody really cares what you do. Just don’t make the same mistake and end up in another crappy job. Interview THEM as much as they interview you. Being around awesome coworkers is a major plus, and having interesting work is a major plus. Anyhow I’ve seen guys bail after 2 months, that’s a bit crazy, but again, people get over it and move on. It is a little harder when you are getting started, like if this is your your first or second job, cause some nosy interviewer could be “so why did you leave bla bla bla”. But I would still say go for it. At this point of my career I don’t take shit from anyone, I’ll quit tomorrow if someone crossed the line. That’s a great place to be because people sense it and it really decreases the amount of bull you have to wade thru.

Thanks again for the responses. Great to have people with much more work experience giving me this input.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bromion Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would just leave as soon as you have another > > offer, life is short. > > Agree. Just land something you want to do and > give notice, nobody really cares what you do. > Just don’t make the same mistake and end up in > another crappy job. Interview THEM as much as > they interview you. Being around awesome > coworkers is a major plus, and having interesting > work is a major plus. Anyhow I’ve seen guys bail > after 2 months, that’s a bit crazy, but again, > people get over it and move on. > > It is a little harder when you are getting > started, like if this is your your first or second > job, cause some nosy interviewer could be “so why > did you leave bla bla bla”. But I would still say > go for it. > > At this point of my career I don’t take shit from > anyone, I’ll quit tomorrow if someone crossed the > line. That’s a great place to be because people > sense it and it really decreases the amount of > bull you have to wade thru. purealpha, respect man. I feel the same way. It’s a two way street. They wouldn’t think twice if they needed to get rid of me. I walk around with my resignation letter in my shirt pocket. (not literally)

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At this point of my career I don’t take shit from > anyone Please elaborate.

hang in there, sub. it cant possibly be worse than having 4 years of grad school poverty ahead of you, qual exams and an advisor that hates you and your thesis idea? thats already behind your back, cheer up. i wouldnt worry about ‘minimum’ work experience, be ready to jump ship as soon as an opportunity comes along!

If your co workers are awesome, then just hang in there and keep interviewing until you get the break you are wishing for. I moved from my previous job to current job because the environment in previous office had a resemblance to a funereal place though work was fine. My current job is not my dream job, but co workers are awesome and work is fine, so I am rejecting offers which are marginally better and happily interviewing aggressively until I get my dream job. Having a good office environment is necessary, it’s a good feeling, in fact delightful, if you don’t feel depressed by the thought of going to office when you wake up in the morning. For that to happen, you must have a good office environment and awesome co workers.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hang in there, sub. it cant possibly be worse than > having 4 years of grad school poverty ahead of > you, qual exams and an advisor that hates you and > your thesis idea? thats already behind your back, > cheer up. i wouldnt worry about ‘minimum’ work > experience, be ready to jump ship as soon as an > opportunity comes along! Def. Thanks man. This job destroys me so much that I have no desire to fight on the internet anymore. That is saying a lot, knowing my combative past. :slight_smile: I’m actually looking into various entrepreneurship ideas with some co-workers (I’m lucky to have awesome ones. heck the company is good too, just that I dislike the type of work) but won’t make sense to leave a steady paycheck at the moment despite how much I want to.

BangBusDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If your co workers are awesome, then just hang in > there and keep interviewing until you get the > break you are wishing for. I moved from my > previous job to current job because the > environment in previous office had a resemblance > to a funereal place though work was fine. My > current job is not my dream job, but co workers > are awesome and work is fine, so I am rejecting > offers which are marginally better and happily > interviewing aggressively until I get my dream > job. > > Having a good office environment is necessary, > it’s a good feeling, in fact delightful, if you > don’t feel depressed by the thought of going to > office when you wake up in the morning. For that > to happen, you must have a good office environment > and awesome co workers. Thanks man for the input. (I love how I’m writing this to a guy with the name “BangBusDriver,” hahahaha.)

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyhow I’ve seen guys bail > after 2 months, that’s a bit crazy, but again, > people get over it and move on. I believe in the Barney Rule.

17-hour work day today on 2-3 hours of sleep. After you go through all the negatives (stress, anger, anxiety, regret), you feel nothing.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 17 hour work day / 2-3 hours of sleep = broke if this is a regular ocurrence. It could be a resource problem for your boss and you need to tell them to do something. Or leave. You need to fix it.