Dislike job

How do you talented AF people cope with a job you greatly dislike? I feel unhappy and anxious every morning I wake up for work. What is the minimum time you suggest before leaving for another? Is 6 months the bare minimum? I miss the days when I could just post on AF all day and jokingly “fight” with people like: Mobius Striptease, Viceroy, SkipE99, numi, brianr, JOE2010, marcus phoenix.

I would hold on till I got another offer in this economic environment. People always saying stay for at least a year or two, I say as soon as you find your wonderland, go for it!

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do you talented AF people cope with a job you > greatly dislike? > > I feel unhappy and anxious every morning I wake up > for work. > > What is the minimum time you suggest before > leaving for another? Is 6 months the bare > minimum? > > I miss the days when I could just post on AF all > day and jokingly “fight” with people like: > Mobius Striptease, Viceroy, SkipE99, numi, brianr, > JOE2010, marcus phoenix. How do I not even make the hate list? Summary, what does your job history timeline look like? (ie. 6 mo’s at first job, 12 mos at second, then now at third…etc) This is relevant to my answer.

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1279887,1283001#msg-1283001 Thread on similar topic. I think my response there addresses it. That being said, I feel like some degree of hate for your job is just par for the course in finance.

I would just leave as soon as you have another offer, life is short. I interviewed this guy a while back and he left a job after one month. He told me the company misrepresented the job and he thought he was being short changed. I respected the honesty and we ended up making an offer to him, though it didn’t work out for other reasons. The idea that you will be finished for life if you leave a job after less than a year is overrated – if you’re miserable, just move on, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t jump without a parachute though.

Somehow ended up with a double post :slight_smile:

I also quit a job recently after only about a month - but not before I had secured a new position. Felt quite strange sitting at my desk applying for jobs after having worked there two weeks. They had completely oversold the position. Fair to say that I am never including that job on my CV. Had been in my previous job three years prior to this. Also very happy with the new job. Cheers

Did missinglink interview with bromion? Now that would be funny!

this is what iphone/droids are for. buy one and turn on, tune in, and drop out.

I agree if miserable -> move. The only caveat I would stick in there is: if you just got a job where the experience is very valuable and it was hard to break in, stay a year. Say you wanted to do ER for years, and finally broke in after 5 years here and there. If your senior analyst is a dbag, your life WILL suck. guaranteed. But stay to get your 4 FINRA licenses, which you can’t get on your own bec a firm has to sponsor you, and least pull a year of experience

Agree with most advices here. In my own experience, it is easier to find a new job while holding on to your current job (no matter how miserable) as you come across more confidently and have more bargaining power with a job than without one.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do I not even make the hate list? Sorry man! :slight_smile: I am currently working, so will respond back later. Thank you Black Swan and thanks to everyone for your responses.

missinglink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also quit a job recently after only about a > month - but not before I had secured a new > position. Felt quite strange sitting at my desk > applying for jobs after having worked there two > weeks. LOL

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’m going to start looking and keep my job now in the meantime, even though I greatly want to just quit.

What are some things about the job that you dislike?

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do you talented AF people cope with a job you > greatly dislike? > > I feel unhappy and anxious every morning I wake up > for work. > > What is the minimum time you suggest before > leaving for another? Is 6 months the bare > minimum? > > I miss the days when I could just post on AF all > day and jokingly “fight” with people like: > Mobius Striptease, Viceroy, SkipE99, numi, brianr, > JOE2010, marcus phoenix. I thought you were dead.

^JOE!! How are you, buddy?!

^ Pretty well, I thought Chad nuked you too.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What are some things about the job that you > dislike? The tedium and lack of intellectual stimulation is difficult to deal with. A high point though, is that the co-workers are awesome. I don’t envision myself at the company long-term and it’s not the type of work that I want to be in in general - so it’s tough to become motivated to do extra, or even enough past the bare minimum.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How do you talented AF people cope with a job > you > > greatly dislike? > > > > I feel unhappy and anxious every morning I wake > up > > for work. > > > > What is the minimum time you suggest before > > leaving for another? Is 6 months the bare > > minimum? > > > > I miss the days when I could just post on AF > all > > day and jokingly “fight” with people like: > > Mobius Striptease, Viceroy, SkipE99, numi, > brianr, > > JOE2010, marcus phoenix. > > I thought you were dead. I wish, probably better than this job. :slight_smile: Nice to “see” you man.