Disputing egregious charges

Update: found out from the building management company that the architect is trying to slap me with a second $1000 bill for undefined services that even the management company doesn’t understand. The management company is siding with me now and filing an official dispute on my behalf, and they said most likely they are going to terminate their contract with the architect. My question is, if it turns out the architect doesn’t back down and I’m stuck with both bills (total of $2000), what is my recourse? Can I take them to small claims court? At that price level it is worth it for me to take legal action to contest the entire amount as long as the legal fees are reasonable.

Legal fees in NYC are $350+ per hour. To get a lawyer on the phone he will want $1000 retainer. I say drop by the architect’s office without an appointment and ask to discuss the bill in person.

But if I go to small claims court I don’t need a lawyer, no? My question is if all amicable options are exhausted, what is my least expensive means of legal recourse. I’m not sure if small claims court is the right place to go but if it is that’s probably where you’ll find me.

Remember, you still need to pay a court fee, unless you sue them for fees and such and you will need to follow the rules of the court. These fees can add up.

Any idea what the ballpark range of court fees are? Less than $100, a few hundred, or over $1000?

Tell him that, for this level of service, you would have been better off going to McDonald’s. That should shame him into lowering the bill.