Dissed@Interview

Valyo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > could be also a test…or not? i just thought that > if i were a recruiter i would do that to check how > much the candidates hold to whaterver they are and > be able to defend themselves with dignity out of > the situation…well, like it does not happen in > the corporate world when a clueless ceo would > shout at you for no reason… > > edit:sorry, did not see that someone else came > with that brilliant idea before me lol A test??? maybe to see if you are a complete loser who cant stand up for his/hers rights, no matter what kind of a test it is , you shouldnt have to sell your dignity and respect to anyone especially for materialistic things like job/$$$ , how ridiculous

Wow…that’s crazy. Personally, I imagine folks that would take that kind of abuse are either ignorant, desperate, or young. I have yet to ever interview for a position in the financial sector…I suppose I could see this type of thing going on. Being in my 30’s with plenty of life experience already, I’d never sit through that kind of BS without interrupting and cleverly letting Mr. Big Shot have it. I understand the meaning of “paying dues” as a newbie in any line of work but this type of behavior as some sort of “test” to see if one can handle pressure…in an interview??? I don’t think so pal. Handling pressure is being able to stare death in the face and overcome the fear and panic that inherently exists in the situation, whether on a battlefield or elsewhere. If I ever find myself in a situation such as this for an entry level (or otherwise) interview in the financial sector and I feel that it is some sort of test of my abilities… before I let him have it, I’ll laugh at his futile effort.

from what he is telling me, it doesn’t sound like it was a test. sounded like this guy is just a jerk that thinks he is a big shot and enjoys putting down people. i think if more people got ass whoppings in high school, they would treat people with a bit more respect. i learned early on that if you disrespect someone, sooner or later it’ll catch up with you and you’ll pay in full. the only people that can consistently be rude are those tied to the mob. maybe he is, who knows. i should find out his name and post his info on here. i’m very upset at this and I wasn’t even the one at the interview.

I would’ve walked while he was in mid sentence.

I find these stories absolutely amazing. I find it very funny that someone at ML would be so rude and then be ignorant enough to think that he would qualify as “the best of the best.” I don’t see how the best of the best could possibly be attracted to that kind of atmosphere, since - if they are truly as good as all that - it is not necessary to put up with it. (by the way, the ML references an earlier post; I’m not trying to say anything bad about ML in general)

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How can you let anybody call you a dumbass in any > situation? > my price is $800K/year + 4 week vacation time. wait, make that $800K Canadian.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bodymore, I feel the same way. > > From what my colleague told me, the manager didn’t > even bother to ask him any real questions to > ascertain his level of knowledge. Everything he > said was mocked. like when he told him that he was > interested in derivatives the manager replied with > sarcasm, “i’m sure you know a lot about > derivatives since you’ve worked in a discount > brokerage before”. > > also, when he told him that he was doing the CFA, > the manager replied, “so what do you want me to > think about that”. > So you answer the question constructively. “Actually, I don’t want you to think anything about it particularly. I know that I’ve learned a ton of stuff studying for these exams. How does your company feel about continuing education?” > finally, the manager went on to say, “we’re not > going to pay you anything more then what you’re > getting now, if you get anything at all”. > “Well, it doesn’t seem like a particularly good fit for me here. Thanks for your time”. > though what the manager said is problably true, I > believe there are two ways to do things, the right > way and the wrong way. No need to be a jerk about > things. > > he is wondering now if he should even accept the > offer because he doesn’t want to work with that > person or in that sort of environment. can you > blame him? So now he calls up the company and says he would like to meet with them again before accepting the job offer. See what happens.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bodymore, I feel the same way. > > From what my colleague told me, the manager didn’t > even bother to ask him any real questions to > ascertain his level of knowledge. Everything he > said was mocked. like when he told him that he was > interested in derivatives the manager replied with > sarcasm, “i’m sure you know a lot about > derivatives since you’ve worked in a discount > brokerage before”. > > also, when he told him that he was doing the CFA, > the manager replied, “so what do you want me to > think about that”. > > finally, the manager went on to say, “we’re not > going to pay you anything more then what you’re > getting now, if you get anything at all”. > > though what the manager said is problably true, I > believe there are two ways to do things, the right > way and the wrong way. No need to be a jerk about > things. > > he is wondering now if he should even accept the > offer because he doesn’t want to work with that > person or in that sort of environment. can you > blame him? I wouldve asked him if he felt that way then why did he even give me the interview, then id tell him to quit wasting both of our times with these stupid power games.

I’ve had a similar experience. its not quite as bad as FrankA’s friend but the interviewer was very rude. Dissing me and asking me how my experience could be relevant. I was pretty angry by the time I left the interview. Withdrew my application and told the HR manager that the interviewer was unprofessional. maybe I should have swallowed my pride, but I didn’t work hard just to have some ignorant person treat me this way. In my experience, the rude, arrogant ones are often dumb, with low self-esteem and they try to cover it up by treating pple in more vulnerable positions badly.

Well, if your resume doesn’t clearly make you a fit for a position, a question to ask how your experience is relevant is often a chance to make a connection that the interviewer didn’t make. It can happen that the person that calls you in sees something in you that one of their colleagues interviewing you doesn’t see, so you may have to make the case. The question itself isn’t necessarily bad, but I guess it depends on how its phrased and whether there are disparaging remarks before or after. Interviewers often get spooked to interview people too (what the heck am i going to ask this guy?), so a really good interviewee can sometimes help to put the interviewer at ease and lead them to questions. Anyway, some is just luck of the draw. I’ve had interview questions that make me sound smarter than I really am, and others that hit some area that I’m weak in and make me look like I’m a big dummy. But usually if you are a decent conversationalist, you can introduce at least some things that make you stand out.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So now he calls up the company and says he would > like to meet with them again before accepting the > job offer. See what happens. Absolutely agree with you :smiley:

bchadwick, You’re right. Since then, I had other interviews where the question was asked but it was obvious, they were interested in finding out about me and how I fit. This interviewer however made fun of my job then and made it seem as if it was lowly and beneath him even though he prob couldn’t have done it. I interned on the trading floor at and he asked me about that but then later on made sport of my remarks. I know it sounds trivial now that I’m relaying it but it was very unpleasant. All in all, I was made to feel like I was like scum and that I was not worth even a second of his time. I understand if he didn’t think I was a good fit and he could have just told me that but instead he took the time to not ask me questions about my skills, qualifications, relevant questions, but rather to make sarcastic remarks about whatever I said.

agreed…any respectable firm should treat you fairly and professionally, even if you are a not a good fit for the job. if they treat you otherwise, maybe they’re the ones that are unfit for the job…i don’t think there is any problem just getting up and walking away from these types of situations.

It takes some people a long time to realise that being an a**hole doesn’t make you any smarter, it just makes you an a**hole.

FIAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > . I agree.

Good point.

Well this thread is oooold but since I havent been on the forum very often at all i thought id revive it with the hilarity that characterized my rejections at ib’s this fall… Interviewer 1-super saturday" I see that you are a private pilot, why did you put this on your resume for finance? This doesnt tell me anything, are you going to take the clients flying?" The M.D whose with the aforementioned interviewer " tell me about your marks, why are you even here?" I soooo didnt expect to be asked about my marks on the super saturday after having 2 rounds of this shit so i go through how I have above average marks for my program, i am on the deans list for 3rd year, my major gpa is around 3.4, over all like 3.2 3.3, and that the only C+ i have ever received was in first year, first semester in a business HISTORY class that bored me to death. They werent satisifed. Same interviewer asks “how are you different than anyone else who applied?” me -" well the fact that I am a fully licenced private pilot shows a level of dedication, motivation and perserverance that no school related extra-cirriculars or other applicant has probably shown and I think this proves that I can excel as an analyst in a face paced environment that also requires a high degree of accuracy" interviewer " ya well weve already ascertained that you wont be taking clients flying so I ask again how are you different than anyone else applying?" 3 interviews later on the same super saturday, after being pissed at the pilot crap " give me a stock pitch" so i go through why i think e-bay is a good pick for the long run despite the fact it will probably decline as they revamp the site and alter the skype operations and when i tell him the p/e ratio, which was pretty high at the time but lower than like amazon and other tech companies, granted they arent the same. He goes nuts, saying how the p/e ratio is waaaaay to high and that it was the worst p/e ratio hed heard in any pitch today… so at that point i was losing it, so i said " if the only thing that mattered was p/e ratios everyone would be rich and you probably wouldnt be in demand for pricing new floats and no one would make bad investments"…after that things went downhill fast as he turned up the bull shit you normally read about on vault…the clock hands, the pennies to the ceiling and then he started up with the P/E ratio again but went nuts with implied growth rates and he raped me with multiples. I was really pissed at this ibank until I learned that someone else I knew had walked out of it after they started the ratio rape and the condescending comebacks.

so i take it these guys are hardcore…

Investment Bankers kill me… 1.$250,000 a year. 2. New 911 Turbo. 3. Single and/or still living at home. 4. Worst stock pickers of all and the “super-geniuses” who brough you sub-prime. What’s wrong with this? Idiots Willy