Dissed@Interview

They’re geniuses. Almost no one else (and certainly no one else that young) could make errors that big and not have to give back any of the money they made doing it.

ca-cbv-cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well this thread is oooold but since I havent been > on the forum very often at all i thought id revive > it with the hilarity that characterized my > rejections at ib’s this fall… > > Interviewer 1-super saturday" I see that you are a > private pilot, why did you put this on your resume > for finance? This doesnt tell me anything, are you > going to take the clients flying?" > > The M.D whose with the aforementioned interviewer > " tell me about your marks, why are you even > here?" > > I soooo didnt expect to be asked about my marks on > the super saturday after having 2 rounds of this > shit so i go through how I have above average > marks for my program, i am on the deans list for > 3rd year, my major gpa is around 3.4, over all > like 3.2 3.3, and that the only C+ i have ever > received was in first year, first semester in a > business HISTORY class that bored me to death. > They werent satisifed. > > > Same interviewer asks “how are you different than > anyone else who applied?” > > me -" well the fact that I am a fully licenced > private pilot shows a level of dedication, > motivation and perserverance that no school > related extra-cirriculars or other applicant has > probably shown and I think this proves that I can > excel as an analyst in a face paced environment > that also requires a high degree of accuracy" > > interviewer " ya well weve already ascertained > that you wont be taking clients flying so I ask > again how are you different than anyone else > applying?" > > 3 interviews later on the same super saturday, > after being pissed at the pilot crap > > " give me a stock pitch" so i go through why i > think e-bay is a good pick for the long run > despite the fact it will probably decline as they > revamp the site and alter the skype operations and > when i tell him the p/e ratio, which was pretty > high at the time but lower than like amazon and > other tech companies, granted they arent the same. > He goes nuts, saying how the p/e ratio is waaaaay > to high and that it was the worst p/e ratio hed > heard in any pitch today… so at that point i was > losing it, so i said " if the only thing that > mattered was p/e ratios everyone would be rich and > you probably wouldnt be in demand for pricing new > floats and no one would make bad > investments"…after that things went downhill > fast as he turned up the bull shit you normally > read about on vault…the clock hands, the > pennies to the ceiling and then he started up with > the P/E ratio again but went nuts with implied > growth rates and he raped me with multiples. > > > I was really pissed at this ibank until I learned > that someone else I knew had walked out of it > after they started the ratio rape and the > condescending comebacks. wow…sounds like a couple of these guys had it in for you, maybe for no good reason at all. well, if it makes any difference, i think you probably interview well and i’m sure it’ll just be a matter of time before you get a good job. for what it’s worth, i was pretty impressed with your responses; it’s just unfortunate that you ran into a couple of dirtbags. anyway, don’t feel bad because that’s not the kind of place where you’d like to work anyway, so no big loss there. anyway, best of luck…let me know how things turn out for you. in the long haul i’m sure you’ll be fine, just be glad you don’t work at that sh!tshow that you interviewed with recently…you wouldn’t want to deal with those jokers anyway

thanks numi, I signed with one of the big 4, i came to the conclusion that with the current market i’d rather spend first 2 yrs ~ out of school getting my CA and then doing mba or msc of finance and parlay that into research and go from there. Best regards.

Frank, Personally I have been dissed at an interview because my school is known as the party school in the state. At the time I had quite the ego and handed it back firmly. Didn’t get the job and could really care less. Unless this is place the person is interviewing is a big boy firm, I would tell the interviewer to pound salt.

test or not, i’d wanna smack the mofo’s head against the edge of the table… i’d probably just walk out though…

I remember one interview I was at; Guy kept pacing back and forth while he was talking. Cursing up a storm at every opportunity, saying things like, “We’re not here to make friends, we’re not saving the fcuking manatees!” Frank, All seriousness, any update on your collegue?

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Investment Bankers kill me… > > 1.$250,000 a year. > 2. New 911 Turbo. > 3. Single and/or still living at home. > 4. Worst stock pickers of all and the > “super-geniuses” who brough you sub-prime. > > What’s wrong with this? > > Idiots > > Willy Many of them are just overemployed used car salesmen in a fancier suit and a shinier pair of shoes

“In my experience, the rude, arrogant ones are often dumb, with low self-esteem and they try to cover it up by treating pple in more vulnerable positions badly.” That may be true but in my experience, those very same people were treated that way at some point by their seniors…its a vicious circle. People that get hazed, are the one’s who haze…

my friend took the job. its a back office role. processing swap/deriviative transactions. haven’t spoken with him since.

>That may be true but in my experience, those very same people were treated that way at some point by their seniors…its a vicious circle. People that get hazed, are the one’s who haze… That may be true but in my experience, those who are smart and were treated that way at some point by their seniors think, “Wow, I did not like it. I should not do the same to other people.” So yeah, I guess those rude and arrogant ones are just dumb.

just tell them: stop tryin’ to be the king becasue the ace is back!

i think rude and arrogance is a part of the game, especially in finance. This is why i’m trying to perfect my “mayweather arrogance” so whenever i can leave DB, i can be like…“i’m the greatest, there will never be anybody like me. i’m the truth. the MD, he is a C class analyst. he should be appreciative of me working in his firm”.

>i think rude and arrogance is a part of the game, especially in finance. Sadly, I tend to agree with you , Frank.

It’s called being suave. They probably want people who know how to intelligently talk back, without necessarily being seen as talking back. I doubt they want someone who’s a fuckin bookworm like most of you here. :slight_smile:

Lot of people are sayin his behaviour might of been some sort of a test to see how you react.why would someone want to detriment the reputation of their firm by such a nasty attitude is beyond me.the interviewer is the first person you meet from that firm and hence the first impression of what the people there are like. I can just imagine their adds!“we employ the people of highest calibre.the ones who can withstand a whole hour of abuse and not say a word”

i didn’t read all of the posts but i think that part of it may have been the discount brokerage experience. i had a similar background but my defense has always been that the 2 or so years i worked there were a great learning experience after university. much better, IMHO, than working, let’s say, as an assistant to an investment advisor. at a discount broker you actually get to learn the fundamentals of equities, bonds, and derivitives (assuming you have the courses) without having to worry about whether you are going to be able to pay the bills with your commission. i took more than a few finance courses at a pretty good undergrad business program but even that doesn’t really teach you the day-to-day industry jargon and what-not. besides, at a discount brokerage you get to see how smart clients make money and the not-so-smart ones lose money. that said, if your friend was stuck at a discount broker for a few too many years then it may look as if they can’t handle anything more complex than taking someone else’s covered-call order as opposed to making decisions for other people. but he got the job so that’s all that counts.

cocfa, glad to meet a fellow ex-DBer. my friend was here for only 1 year. i just think they were being mean. when i first heard it, i thought he was giong in as a swaps trader or something. turned out it was just a back office role. i don’t see how being humuliated needs to be part of the recruiting process for a back office position.

neither back office nor front ofiice…

If the manager who dissed you would be your manager when working, I wouldn’t take the job…

Like alec baldwin said in Glen Garry Glenn Ross “if you can take the abuse here in the office how the f*&k can you take the abuse you are going to get on a sit”.