Distance running advice?

Anaerobic athletes mainly have larger muscles. Think of sprinters.

The 5k isn’t a sprint. Even people running 16:00 5Ks stride it out and are pretty skinny.

You have no idea the can of worms you just opened.

who here can run a sub 20 5k and dead over 400?

Not my point at all, but also, not all anaerobic athletes are fast twitch (larger muscles), it is very possible to be anaerobic and slow twitch.

Also, running high Speed intervals ( including fast 1 miles) is not decidedly anaerobic, more of a hybrid

1 rep 405 w/ belt and chalk. 20:30 on last 5k.

a/s/l no homo

Anaerobic and slow twitch - can you give an example?

Do you mean endurance leading to loss of oxygen in muscles/hitting 90% max heart rate?

_ Muscle fiber types can be broken down into two main types : slow twitch ( Type I) muscle fibers and fast twitch ( Type II ) muscle fibers. These fast twitch fibers can be further categorized into Type IIa and Type IIb fibers , which are also known as “fast twitch oxidative” and “fast twitch glycolytic,” respectively._

A person is born with a set amount of “slow twitch” and “fast twitch” fibers. Then, these are further adapted with training. One of the main adaptations is metabolic pathways (anaerobic vs. aerobic)

Isaiah knows.

Image result for bo knows

Type 2 fibers are fast twitch, those are sub-grouped into 2a and 2b.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/fast-twitch-vs-slow-twitch-what-kind-of-muscles-do-you-want/

Type IIa Fibers

Fence riders…halfway between type I and Type IIb. These are equal parts aerobic and anaerobic. Not great at long distances, not great at sprinting, but pretty good for either. The “jack of all trades” muscle fiber, if you will.

Thanks all, some good advice here. Comments:

• Yes I am aware that I will get manslaughtered by this chick. I’m not looking to keep up with her, I’m just looking to make it to the finish line in one piece in a respectable time. If I can knock out a 9 minute pace I would be perfectly fine with that. She’s running to win the whole thing, which probably means she’s going to pace out to a 5-handle and will leave me in the dust within the first 10 seconds of the race. My ulterior motive is that training for this race will help me to get my body fat back down to the mid single digits.
  • KMD - 18:22 is pretty sick. I’ve never broken the 6 min mile even for only one mile.
  • Agree with SportBiker - I consider running to be a miserable chore too. Even if I had the stamina to run distance, I get bored after the first 5 minutes and it takes a lot of willpower for me to not stop. I think that’s one of the biggest hindrances to me ever getting good at running.

Just run two separate fast 1 miles a day and you should get a pretty quick return. Then like once a week do a longer run like 5 miles.

I thought you worked out 2 hrs per day and had a 6 pack? 9 min should be cake unless you have the six-pack body of Mr. Universe.

Does anyone have strong opinions about running on a treadmill (especially in the winter time) vs. running outdoors? Is one significantly more beneficial/detrimental than the other?

Equivalent for most people. Some people think some surfaces are softer than a treadmill or that running on variable terrain can help build support muscles but it’s on the extreme margin.

I’m surprised by that answer, since the treadmill is doing the moving for you. I find long periods of cardio terribly boring and stick to HIIT style cardio, so good luck

This is correct. If you want to have the treadmill equate to outdoor running (effort/ pace) then set it to a 1% incline. If you dont have a good outdoor option for running then at least put a fan on you. Gets hot when you are not actually moving forward. The time goes by so slow… 30 min feels like forever on the TM. Outdoors it just feel like quick enjoyable exercise.

I mean, maaaybe there’s a small difference between treadmill and outdoor, I’ve always heard them discussed as equivalents. The treadmill’s not really doing the moving for you because you have to propel yourself forward with each step to avoid slipping backwards with the treadmill.