Distance running advice?

Quick update - didnt get a chance to start training consistently until last week given that there was snow on the ground and/or it was cold as sh!t for much of the last two months. Ive gotten myself to a 10 min pace for 2 miles and a 9 min pace for 1 mile after a week of training. Keeping my fingers crossed that Ill be able to translate this into my race goal in the next 7 weeks.

no home gym, hacksaw

congrats on the week of consistency what is your race goal? I don’t think you should worry about this race too much - you’ll be fine.

No offense, but that’s just horrible. I thought you said you worked out a lot? I’m sincerely not trying to be a dick, just confused.

I weigh ~190 5’10 (so not a natural built runner) and I had my first workout in four months last week (literally nothing but eating junk food and sitting in an office chair, carrying probably 10 pounds of fat). Finished a 1.5 hour workout with a sub 7 minute split.

Yeah - agree. I’m a bit perturbed. I’m pretty heavy right now (6’0, 225lbs) and can still run comfortably at 8.7mph striding on the treadmill for a mile, which is about 6:54 split. I could run a bit faster and have done 1/2 mile drills at 10mph - 6:00 split (at 220-225lbs). I think I might be able to do 10mph for a mile, but don’t want to push myself in the mile right now. I don’t train to run at all recently - just started doing some drills this week to get a bit more lean. Then again, I grew up running and I think a lot of it is mental.

BS - what weight were you running 3 miles in 18min - like 170 - 175 or something?

Well, the first time I did it was in college when I was in the 170-175 range. I was probably right about that weight when I was ultra-running too and was almost definitely able to soundly beat that pace although I never timed myself over that distance at that point. About a year ago I was briefly in shape and running single miles at about a 5:10 pace weighing around 180-185 so I’d imagine I could have translated that into three six minute splits at that time while weighing more. Next winter I’ll probably turn my focus towards trying to finally crack that sub 5 minute mile I’ve always had on the back burner.

The problem I run into a lot when I’m trying to train towards a 5 minute mile is that you almost have to do it outside because most treadmills, even commercial grade ones are built to top out around 12 mph and a lot of the times when you run them near that speed they start to get fickle, everything from randomly shutting off (super alarming when it happens) to getting sort of an undulating speed pattern. To actually hit a 5 minute time on a treadmill you actually have to spend some time above 12 mph because of the slow start and it also helps to do speed work above 12 mph to get to where you can run that pace consistently. So what I’ll probably end up doing is getting a fast base over the winter then taking my training outdoors in the spring to try to hit that time on a track.

Yeah that has been on my bucket list as well - to crack the 5min mile. I think the best course to do it would be the NYC 5th Ave mile. It is a great course. Just dead straight on 5th ave. 5:10 is really close dude. I’ve never been able to get lower than a painful painful ~5:18 (in a race) and I was super skinny. Race day with adrenaline and some light kicks you could break 5:00 ----

Thanks, at the time it felt pretty far from 5:00 but now you have me motivated. I’ll let you know how things progress and keep that 5th ave race in mind.

I can do 6:30 mile at 210 lbs bros. come at me

Yeah treadmills have their limitations. I really never set foot on a treadmill until after college when I stared living in big cities.

I really like them now. One issue I have is my pace is real f’ed up and it helps me to be consistent.

I haven’t ever had an alarm go off or an emergency stop - that’s crazy. It is somewhat annoying on some lighter,smaller treadmills that they bounce around but at times I make an effort to run really light and clean which I think helps with conservation of energy and efficient energy expenditure.

When setting it to 12mph, it does take like 20 sec to get up to speed. My former trainer used to have me do treadmill sprint intervals and I would just stand on the sides until it was at the speed. You could turn it to 12mph and wait till 1:00 and then you know every 75 sec is 400m or 1/4 mile. Some people like jog/run intervals but I actually prefer full rest intervals. Up to you.

Also, a slight incline at 12mph would be really challenging.

The track would be essential as the race gets close, but the treadmill could definitely provide a good, consistent base.

Update - down to 9:30 for 2 miles, 8:30 for 1 mile, and 1:35 for 400m repeats after week 2.

i do 9 minutes per mile walking a quarter of the time. you dont run all throughout im guessing?

I did a 4k run on the treadmill at lunchtime while watching the Boston Marathon on the built-in TV. Felt weird to be running while watching running.

you must be one unathletic mofo if you’re actually training and these are your numbers

I think he means he’s running backwards … he has to be running backwards

agreed with BS.

I knew a lot of Marines that ran twice a year–three miles during the Spring PFT and three miles at the fall PFT. They always ran a 9-min split (because that’s passing).

How can a person work out two hours a day and not be able to run a simple 5k in less than 30 minutes? (10 minute miles). Granted, I couldn’t do it right now, but I don’t claim to work out two hours a day either.

BS - I’ve been testing out some treadmills. The LifeFitness treadmills at Planet Fitness go to 14mph which is pretty fast if you just want to add on another gym there for $10/mo (24/7hr access for most).

They are bolted together so don’t wobble at least not for me.