Dlemna

I have been looking for a stable FT work for 12 months. Been brutal. I was recommended for a position that is with a firm that is a nobody on the street in what I want to do…but it is a start…and I need the cash. Since nothing else has been on the horizon, I figured it is better than sitting around. I think I will be offered the position in a week or two. Figure I can say there and re-think the situation when things get better and I have some marketable experience… However, today I was asked to interview next week for a similar position with a firm I would love to work for, and that has a good reputation in the niche I want to be in. Plus it is a much bigger firm with better internal domestic/foreign advancement potential. My dilemma is this, if I am offered the lesser desired position before I get a chance to interview for the second position, I guess I will have to give them a decision soon. However, if I do accept, then interview with the second firm and offered a position, would it be considered un professional to leave that soon? I would feel better if I told the 1st firm that I had to decline b/c I am currently interviewing other places for a more suitable position, but I need the $$ and have no idea if the other job will come through…it has been a long year and not sure when the next sure thing will come again… Thanks for any input.

Let the second firm know, and see if they can expedite the process for you By the way, what is the position?

I wouldn’t tell anybody. And I wouldn’t ever show up my current job on my CV if I were not sure that I’d stay around for at least 6 months. Just go take up the job, keep interviewing and leave the job if you get through (citing family reasons). Let them consider it unprofessional if they want to. Letting either party know might hurt you - why take chances?

Why would it hurt, especially wiht the second firm. Given he is unemployed, its quite natural and understood Im sure that he would be interviewing for multiple positions

Dont tell anyone anything YET. You dont need to tell company1 anything, because you have all intentions of joining them as of now. You dont have to tell company2 anything, because they have not comitted on you yet for anything. They may not even schedule your interview next week for what you know. But, with company1, avoid signing a big notice period if possible. If you get a job with another company (2 or any other one) in future or near future, let that company know of your existing notice period. You would have option of serving the notice period or paying for that period. I guess this way is more professional and ethical. However, if anything is specifically asked during any interaction, I wouldn’t hide or lie.

Also, one in the bag is better than 2 in the bush. I would plan on joining company1 with what I know from your post. Good Luck.

Ask firm 2 if they can hurry up, as you have been offered a position with firm 1. This will make you seem more attractive to firm 2 also. If firm 2 is slow in their response, join firm 1 provided that you can quit if firm 2 gives you an offer. Btw, no offers for 12 months, and then suddenly two prospects in a row? Congratulations.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ask firm 2 if they can hurry up, as you have been > offered a position with firm 1. This will make you > seem more attractive to firm 2 also. If firm 2 is > slow in their response, join firm 1 provided that > you can quit if firm 2 gives you an offer. > > Btw, no offers for 12 months, and then suddenly > two prospects in a row? Congratulations. Yep…it has been a test in resilience the past year…it did not help that I was returning to the industry after working in another sector for 4 years, even with CFA…I am not sure if the uptick in success is due to a more targeted networking and job niche focus…or overall job market improvement this quarter and my specialty…probably a little of both.

We had a guy who joined my firm and then less then 6 months later when a former boss of his moved somewhere else and offered him a better job. He obviously took the job with us because he’d been out of work for a while, and it was a paying job he could handle. Employment is at will. Theyc an let you go the day after you start (or cancel commtments to hire as happened all over in the last couple of years) so do what is best for you.

Super I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We had a guy who joined my firm and then less then > 6 months later when a former boss of his moved > somewhere else and offered him a better job. He > obviously took the job with us because he’d been > out of work for a while, and it was a paying job > he could handle. > > Employment is at will. Theyc an let you go the > day after you start (or cancel commtments to hire > as happened all over in the last couple of years) > so do what is best for you. I hear you, definitely a free agent mentality these days…you have to take care of yourself. Any day you can be let go with little or no severance.

soppisoppi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why would it hurt, especially wiht the second > firm. > > Given he is unemployed, its quite natural and > understood Im sure that he would be interviewing > for multiple positions You have no clues how dumb some HRs can be!

Take the first job with the mentality that it’s your only option. You may only land the 2nd position after all the interview rounds in at least 3-4 weeks. What do you think is your chance with the 2nd firm? If after the first interview you feel confident, decline the offer of the 1st firm. Is a month’s pay really worth it?

Slash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Take the first job with the mentality that it’s > your only option. You may only land the 2nd > position after all the interview rounds in at > least 3-4 weeks. > > What do you think is your chance with the 2nd > firm? If after the first interview you feel > confident, decline the offer of the 1st firm. Is a > month’s pay really worth it? It is not the first month pay that is the issue, it is the case of feeling confident, declining the 1st, then getting dinged on the second, and then going back to living on the ramen noodles till something else comes along…

JohnnyMarr, You are right. Whatever you do, do NOT reject the offer (and do NOT tell this firm that you are evaluating other opportunities) given that you have been looking for a job for almost a year! You could, however, join this firm and go on a sick leave if you feel that it won’t annoy them. The companies hire you when they want. they did not come to your rescue when you were so frantically searching for almost a year. And there can be multiple reasons for leaving too soon - you might not be able to adjust in new atmosphere, you might have family issues, you might not like the location etc. The firm in question is not a KKR or Carlyle anyway. They might Blacklist you for a year or so for leaving too soon, but heck why do you even care?