Do I have a future in finance?

I’m just trying to figure out where I stand in terms of landing a job in finance. My Background: I have an MBA in Finance from a local school in NY. I have been working in sales for the last few years. It is for a small family company so I take on a lot more responsibility than a regular sales job. I plan to study for the CFA for Dec. 2008. I have no finance experience to date. I am 27 years old and I am hoping its not late to get some type of analyst job and work my way up. I follow the markets and have a pretty good understanding of the way things work. I also know that it’s extremely competitive out there. I would have left a while ago but family pressure kept me at my current job. I live in the metro-NY area. I would love to get a job as a SS or BS analyst. Then work my way up from there. I know there are tons of people with far better backgrounds than me out there, but this is something I really want. If you have any comments/advice I would appreciate it.

I was 35 when I got my first analyst job. Edit: Geez 27, too old? I was still in school at 27 working for the Navy to pay my bills. You’re a youngster.

What about a 22yr old? I’d figure if im 22 now… i will get a finance job somewhere down my lifetime…

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about a 22yr old? I’d figure if im 22 now… > i will get a finance job somewhere down my > lifetime… I’m in the same boat…there are alot of under 25’s on this board in similar shoes actually

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about a 22yr old? I’d figure if im 22 now… > i will get a finance job somewhere down my > lifetime… I’m afraid not. If you didn’t get a finance job by the time you’re 21 years and 364 days old, you’re doomed for life.

I was trying to ask a serious question. I didn’t really need the smart@ss remarks that seem pretty common on this board. I was asking more about my work experience and that I have a MBA with no relevant experience.

If you can’t take smart@ss replies to your questions in stride, and still manage to sift out the helpful information contained within, then no, you do not have a future in finance. Sorry.

well played jobsearch…well played!

Ur 27 and u have worked for god knows how many years. You should know this by now. What you asked is what an undergrad/recent grad would ask

You need to get a job in an investment house. Any job. Then take it from there.

Of course you have a future…it’ll just take a little bit more work in the beginning.

AnalystPlease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m just trying to figure out where I stand in > terms of landing a job in finance. Of course you do. It’s just a matter of positioning yourself properly and patience. Sometime this forum can be depressing because there are so many haters putting people down. I’m in the same boat as you. I’m 26 doing some rinky dink Corp Finance job while I knock out a couple of levels of CFA and get enough experience to apply to a good B-school, then try to make the transition into a forward looking reasearch and analysis position. The key for folks like us IMO is staying the course, networking, and going the extra mile to better yourself by teachong yourself everything you can on your own from modeling to macros to developing your writing skills further. If have a weakness try to fix it, and keep on keepin on. One thing is for sure. You will never know if you stand a chace if you don’t try. The last thing you want to do is let the opinions of a few people on a forum like this influence your decision to much. Impossible is nothing. Just go out there and try to make it happen. Things might not work out exactly like you plan, but something will happen.

well said Gouman!

Shake and bake Ricky Bobby.

Impossible is nothing -Aleksey Vayner bwahahahaha

you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. - it’s an old basketball quote, but you get the point.