Do I read too slowly

I am registered for Level 1 in June. My approach was to use CFA1 materials exclusively. However, I am wondering if I simply read too slowly and may not be able to cover all the material before the exam. I’ve recently started keeping track of my start date and finish date for sections so I can guesstimate the rate at which I can cover the material. Example: I started the FRA section on Inventory (which I did find more challenging than any of the preceding material in FRA) on Dec 1 and finished it Dec 7 but am now only halfway thru the questions. I started studying in August and have read all of Quant and the 2013 book on Fixed Income (which has of course been changed for '14–just my luck!!). I really do enjoy reading the CFA materials as I feel they are beautifully written as opposed to just using outlines etc. Bear in mind like all of you here I have a full time (non finance related ) job and a family. Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions!!

Chip

It’s designed to spend no more than a week per study session to give you a month of mocks and review. Keep in mind you’ll have to go back and re-read most of it, but it does go faster the second time. I work in research and thus work very long hours, my answer to the issue of time was getting up two hours early, studying during lunch, and then several hours after work. I also gave up most of my free time on the weekends. I read both CFAI for ethics, quant, FRA. and alternative investments in addition to Kaplan. I’d go and buy Kaplan if I was you.

I suggest you to watch videos on youtube and take note as you watch before jumping into text. Trust me, this will give you an overview of what they are gonna tell you in the book. With this strategy, I covered 3-4 readings in the curriculum per week including working with EOC quesions and Qbank (I have a full time job too). If you travel to work by metro or bus, you can spend time watching videos on the way.

CFAI curricula are tedious and sometimes not well explained. I used both CFAI curriculum and Schweser. In the last 4 weeks, I even studied with Secret Sauce.

I watched videos first too doing L2 and L3, so much faster with my reading knowing what to expect!

Although videos take a long time too, but it makes studying less dry.

I learn best from reading and highlighting, and less well from live lectures plus I don’t have the Schweser course.

Here is a corollary question: let’s say hypothetically I went into the exam knowing Ethics, Quant, and FRA ice cold–like 90% on practice exams–and had read thru the other sections only superficially without working any questions aside from CFA EOC questions. How do you think I would fare on the exam?

Thanks to all

Here are the weights:

http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/exams/Pages/exam_topic_area_weights.aspx

You can use them to make your own predictions.

I watched videos first too doing L2 and L3, so much faster with my reading knowing what to expect!

Although videos take a long time too, but it makes studying less dry.

[/quote]

What kind of videos you´re talking about? blush

What kind of videos you´re talking about? blush

[/quote]

Schweser.

For L1 it’s all about doing practice problems IMHO. Once you have a basic understanding of the concepts you should put the books down and just start hammering away at every single question you can get your hands on. Trust me, L1 is not where you want to get bogged down in reading and re-reading the books. That’s reserved for the special hell you will encounter in L2 and L3.