Do-It-Yourself Flashcards for Level III

One of the tools I’ve used to help pass Levels I and II are flashcards I make myself - while I do take notes during reading, I also make my own flashcards for review during downtime (on the bus, etc.). Also, simply making the cards helps to commit certain concepts to memory. Schweser used to make Do-it-Yourself flashcards (with the LOS printed on front and a blank back where you write out your notes), but it looks like they stopped making those. Since you get way more out of actually writing out your notes than you do writing out the LOS, I formatted a PDF that prints the full text of each LOS on Avery Postcards (Avery Item #8577). I thought others may like access to this file, so here’s a link to the PDF I made: http://rapidshare.com/files/286682441/LevelIII_DIY_Flashcards.pdf And here’s a link to the postcards on Amazon.com. This box of 400 cards will give you slightly more than what you need. http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Postcards-Index-Cards-400/dp/B00139YKH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1254265307&sr=8-2 Mods, please delete if re-formatting the LOS from CFAI is against the rules or considered breech of copyright. That’s not my intention here.

hey stevec, that’s pretty handy For L2 I wrote the LOS on one side and a summary on the other - your pdf would have saved me a fair bit of time writing out the LOS. That said, I’m not sure if I’ll do flashcards this time round as I have more time on my hands than L2.

if it works for you, go for it… didn’t find L3 quite as useful for flash cards as L2. not sure why though as there are alot of lists of things. so it should be good. i’d say work on acronyms early. i pounded so many late. there was a giant thread devoted to acronyms. didn’t really matter much to exam, but other years it has

Wow stevec this is great. I’m still conflicted whether to go this route or not, but your work has made the task easier in case I decide to do it. This is really awesome. Thanks.

Pretty neat. K

Stupid question but just for clarification it goes: “Volume.Reading.LOS” correct?

Wow, I was halfway through making my own until I saw this thread. Well done.

Thanks for sharing, stevec! I didn’t do flashcards for L 1&2, but am thinking it would be wise this time around.

I’d recommend getting at least 5x7 inch flash cards unless you write really small. I found some of the LOSs are pretty lengthy when you are trying to summarize the readings by LOS on note cards. A few LOSs are long enough to fill a few cards alone.

CF_AHHHHHHHHH: Yes, it’s StudySession.Reading.LOS landrybj: I agree that 5x7 would be optimal, and that’s what I used when I made cards by hand. For autmated printing, though, the cards are 4.25 x 5.5 - a bit smaller that I would like. It’s a trade-off between being able to print the LOS directly on the cards versus spending literally hours writing them out by hand. I suppose you could do a mail merge on to mailing lables of some sort and then stick them to the front of 5x7 cards - I do have an Excel file with all of the LOS ready for a mail merge if anyone wants that. Just let me know.

Thanks, they are appreciated greatly…

Here’s a better idea… Download Anki (google it)…free flashcard software…watch the demo vids Import your LOS file into Anki and fill in the LOS ‘answers’ on the back. Then upload completed flashcards to your mobile phone…unless you wanna be in the dark ages with a pile of note cards. Anki will track when you have reviewed items and sets scheduled review intervals…so you’re reviewing stuff regularly.

Anki does look good, but I get more out of physically writing out notes. I am a true believer in “muscle memory” - writing out my notes by hand versus typing them out helps me remember concepts better on test day. That’s my opinion, though - to each their own. I am happy to post the Excel file with the LOS text which should feed right in to Anki - just let me know if you want me to, folks. I love the dark ages, by the way. Paper notes rule! I can’t study off of a mobile phone :slight_smile:

^ Agreed.

^agreed

Boils down to personal preference I guess. I did write out my notecards manually for level 1 and they did prove to be helpful, although it was quite laborious. I’m using Anki right now for FRM, and typing it out also helps to reinforce the material, although maybe not as much as writing. In addition, you have the benefit of copy/paste, embedding images of graphs etc found on the net, and the other functionality.

they are great, thanks so much!

stevec Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anki does look good, but I get more out of > physically writing out notes. I am a true believer > in “muscle memory” - writing out my notes by hand > versus typing them out helps me remember concepts > better on test day. That’s my opinion, though - to > each their own. > > I am happy to post the Excel file with the LOS > text which should feed right in to Anki - just let > me know if you want me to, folks. > > I love the dark ages, by the way. Paper notes > rule! I can’t study off of a mobile phone :slight_smile: Is it possible to mail the excel with 2010 L-III Los which can be imported into Anki please. My email frm dot bhb at gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

stevec Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anki does look good, but I get more out of > physically writing out notes. I am a true believer > in “muscle memory” - writing out my notes by hand > versus typing them out helps me remember concepts > better on test day. That’s my opinion, though - to > each their own. > > I am happy to post the Excel file with the LOS > text which should feed right in to Anki - just let > me know if you want me to, folks. > > I love the dark ages, by the way. Paper notes > rule! I can’t study off of a mobile phone :slight_smile: I would really appreciate it if you could post this.

Here is a link to the .xls file. I imagine this should import in to Anki pretty well. http://rapidshare.com/files/289127812/Level_III_LOS.xls