Do we have to remember all formulas?

There are massive of formulas in the 6 books, should we remember almost all of them by heart? O_o

The CFAI website is your friend. I, on the other hand, am your sworn nemesis. http://www.cfainstitute.com/cfaprog/faq/faqs_candidates.html##70

ja… i notice :-p

Yes

You’re allowed to have a cheat sheet as long as you fill the requirement of having it in size 4 font and the CFA Institute approved magnifying glass.

where can we get a CFA approved magnifying glass. I heard that staples no longer supplies them.

Of course the really cool thing to do with the magnifying glass is to sit next to the window and use it to set the trousers of the guy sitting next to you on fire. Really disturbs the other candidates.

Unfortunately I was in New York last year - no windows :frowning: Either way, I dropped it on the floor right during the beginning of the test, must have been due to my nerves - hence why I need a new one. Thankfully, the head proctor asked everyone to stop writing in order to find someone with an extra one. I’m still impressed by there sincerity!

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Unfortunately I was in New York last year - no > windows :frowning: > > Either way, I dropped it on the floor right during > the beginning of the test, must have been due to > my nerves - hence why I need a new one. > Thankfully, the head proctor asked everyone to > stop writing in order to find someone with an > extra one. I’m still impressed by there > sincerity! And therein lies the big issue, the only one that CFAI approves seems to be extremely fragile and susceptible to smudging. I’m surprised this issue hasn’t been raised with them. Does anyone know if they permit white gloves (for handling fragile items) into the exam? I also hear that you need to hold the magnifying glass perfectly parallel to what you’re viewing, else the image comes out distorted. I’m extremely upset that we are seemingly being tested on our manual dexterity, while also having to worry about the actual task at hand.

I remember using the Magnifying glass in the AM section for FRA’s and some of the Derivatives stuff. Instructions are clearly given per question if the Magnifying glass is to be used with a white glove or without one. If you guys remember the Ethics question of a company where every employee is a CFA, and we were asked how is the logo to be used, there we need the glass to be exactly parallel to the options listed, so that there remains no parallax effect and we can easily judge the correct answer. This spring onwards, they opened up registrations to give the PM section from either Blackberry Curve or Apple iPhone. I chose the latter. Will miss the Javits center and the fragile and smudged windows there.

My proctor was really nice for the December exam. She offered to hold the magnifying glass for me while I took the test. She kept trying to hit on me which was distracting, although it was nice to not have to hold the magnifying glass so I could just focus on writing in the answers. I got her number after the exam was over though.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Of course the really cool thing to do with the > magnifying glass is to sit next to the window and > use it to set the trousers of the guy sitting next > to you on fire. Really disturbs the other > candidates. Make sure it is an approved magnifying glass though. No one wants an inquiry.

These are probably my favorite posts. Such a dick move, but never stops being funny.

ECHBel, don’t listen to anybody. You can’t bring a magnifying glass. However, you can store up to 20 formulas on TI Business calculator. You can read about it in the manual under data section.

i heard that if you use the approved magnifying glass to light a fire they move you to a separate exam room where they don’t have proctors, they have proctologists

hahaha… im reading these posts everyday now

O-O, didn’t notice my post has no many replies on magnifying glass :open_mouth:

i want to say “so many replies”, instead of “no many”, i have a lot of spelling mistakes these days, could be because of the CFA…

ECHBel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i want to say “so many replies”, instead of “no > many”, i have a lot of spelling mistakes these > days, could be because of the CFA… Try pressing and holding shift and the + sign. :slight_smile: