Do we live "by default"?

From what I’ve seen on dating websites these are chicks in their 20s for the most part. My favorites are the 24 year olds with 2 kids looking for “mr right”. Are you kidding me? Good luck with that one.

I seriously think that an effective sex ed campaign would involve showing the cost of diapers contrasted with cost of contraception and nothing else.

Hmm… I never had that issue with guys, when I was doing online. I was barely contacted by single dads (4-5 times at most), even though my status said “want kids someday”… I guess women get scre…d in that department way more…

it’s so tough being a single mom, single dad can almost be a “catch”, but single moms… it’s like you may as well just concentrate on the kids and perhaps think about dating some 60 year olds once the kids are old enough to move out.

The good thing is, we don’t have a lot of single moms in Japan.

Well… with unwanted or unplanned pregnancies, the baby usually gets stuck with the mom. So, it’s expected that more of these problem kids will end up raised by single moms, not single dads. Kids with divorced parents also tend to stay with the mom.

I don’t know many single dads, but most likely, they are the product of more unexpected events. Like the mom died or something.

True. But even with unplanned child, the guy would still be on the hook for shared custody/financial support, no? And technically he is still a “single dad” even if the kid lives with mom… Again, technically something like that should be disclosed on the profile… Or did I wander to a la la land?

If a child is truly unplanned and unwanted, do you think the guy would want even shared custody? Plus from a socio-economic standpoint, I’d hazard a guess that many of the people who wind up in this situation have limited income/financial resources anyway. People of more means and personal responsibility are probably more likely to be on a reliable contraceptive or take care of any mishaps before they get to the single momma stage.

Fair enough. But that’s a certain socio-economic circle you are describing. I am surprised it represents half of the female dating pool in whatever area you are.

You’re underestimating yourself. Working your a$$ off gets you far in many developed countries. The absolute number of opportunities might have been less elsewhere but you would have been competing against less people to reach the top. The US does not have the most billionaires per capita.

You are trying to make a rational argument to women. Good luck!

Right. Cause it’s 100% women’s fault that teen pregnancies occur.

No, the problem is trying to make a rational argument to a man with a stiffy. Good luck!

Gotcha, so by your account of dating websites (good sample!) you’d “bet” that 9 in 10 will never have a father figure…thank you for your insight. Next!

I think online dating is a pretty negatively skewed sample in general, unless you’re in a city overflowing with HCBs like NYC, or LA/SF, etc.

Most of the women doing online dating here fit neatly into a couple of boxes. A) they’re relatively new to town young professionals that don’t know where to meet people; B) spend too much time at work to meet people, and then won’t ever go out with you because they “don’t have time”; or C) they can’t get a date in real life so they go online. I’d say the split is something like 35/15/50 here.

The vast majority of good looking girls seem to already be in relationships, have wide enough social groups to be able to find somebody without resorting to online dating, or be attractive/out there enough to get a guy in public.

The biggest winners of online dating are men who are 8-9s and women who are in the 6-7 range mainly because men will f*ck down but women rarely do.

Hot looking guys have an endless supply of average looking women online that they could bang with little or no investment. That’s the appeal for them. Their brand is out there 24 hours a day. And they absolutely clean up. I know a few that easily pull 8-10 a month, and they don’t even initiate any contact.

Women in the 6-7 range get to date out of their league online due to the male:female ratio. That’s the appeal for them. The upper tier guys give those women enough hope that they want something more than a relationship so they give the good looking guy the benefit of the doubt. What they don’t realize is that it’s the same 10-20% of guys that are getting most of the action. And these guys have no intention to stick around nor do they want to show their friends how average the girl he just banged is. For most guys “dating” online, it’s quantity over quality. Didn’t Blake gloat on how many chubby women he banged online?

For women in the 9-10 range, they don’t need another alternative to meet people. They get all the attention they need in the real world. Therefore, they are underrepresented.

You are all suffering from dukkha…existential grief. I’m afraid there is no escape, as it is part and parcel of the material world…

time to start drinking heavily

Since when are you Buddhist. But remember there is more than 1 Noble Truth:

1. The truth of dukkha (suffering, anxiety, unsatisfactoriness[a])
  2. The truth of the origin of dukkha
  3. The truth of the cessation of dukkha
  4. The truth of the path leading to the cessation of dukkha

Are you going to let us in all these?

For the first time, I did this recently. Still not sure how I feel about it because my inner nice guy guilts me thinking I’m being this jerk. I may just need to make sure she knows its casual.

Could use some guidance from some more experienced AFers…

i know one female friend who dates online with really good results, she always end up dating the best looking guys who are not complete jerks.

i should try but i am too scared… lol