Do You Get Into Awkward Political Arguments Cause of CFA?

I have gotten into some awkward arguments since I learned from CFA that the minimum wage hurts workers (From Level 1). My friends now think the CFA Institute is a right-wing organization that is indoctrinating me with their free markets propaganda. It is weird being liberal in college, then reading about this stuff, and deciding the minimum wage should be abolished, and having your liberal friends hate you :frowning:

I’d say CFAI is definitely right-wing – for obvious reasons. In my opinion, some of the arguments for free-trade were pretty weak in level 2, especially CFAI’s argument against protectionism to retain cultural identity. Read it in the economics book if you haven’t already.

Yeah while I generally agree with the economic theories in the curriculum, the authors tend to oversimplify and dismiss all opposing viewpoints. The arguments for completely free trade and its impact on an economy/society are not nearly as clear cut as the curriculum makes them sound.

if someone is willing to stick to misinformed or underdeveloped theories of how the world should be in light of conflicting theoretical and real-world evidence (and disparage and ostracize those who don’t continue to subscribe to the misinformed/underdeveloped theories) - then their educations were a total waste of time and they should not considered themselves educated

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if someone is willing to stick to misinformed or > underdeveloped theories of how the world should be > in light of conflicting theoretical and real-world > evidence (and disparage and ostracize those who > don’t continue to subscribe to the > misinformed/underdeveloped theories) - then their > educations were a total waste of time and they > should not considered themselves educated yo mamma was a waste of my time. you need to tell her to stop advertising full satisfaction guarantee. I axed her for my money back and she said her son sublimity needed the cash to pay for his Internet bill. he still pays by the minute and talks to chicks on line all day. she said he is also training to become a cage fighter and to go down there and try and hit him and see what happens.

^ why so much immature talk? i have never said anything immature (especially about anyone’s mom) nor talked trash kids these days…

rellison Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have gotten into some awkward arguments since I > learned from CFA that the minimum wage hurts > workers (From Level 1). My friends now think the > CFA Institute is a right-wing organization that is > indoctrinating me with their free markets > propaganda. > > It is weird being liberal in college, then reading > about this stuff, and deciding the minimum wage > should be abolished, and having your liberal > friends hate you :frowning: I’m assuming your friends never took basic macroeconomics.

If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain. -François Pierre Guillaume Guizot (believe it or not a 19th century Frenchman said it, not Winston Churchill)

Wow, that is an awesome quote. For me, it is is more applicable to more financial concerns though…

It is extremely easy to be a liberal in college. Just about every actor, comedian, and teacher is to the left so they never hear any other points of view. I personally don’t like being indoctrinated by 1 point of view and enjoyed standing up to all my teachers saying things like corporations exist to steal money from the poor. I think that CFAI is not political in the sense they favor republicans over democrats but instead has a point of view based on the prevailing economic theories.

what happens when you explain the minimum wage can hurt workers? also, the minimum wage is kind of like free trade, with a econ textbook you can prove free trade is the way to go… but when free trade causes you to lose your job, it is easy to have protectionist views!