Do you really have to know ever-y-thing?

I’ve heard these comments from level 2 takers, that you have to know EVERYTHING. Not sure if you guys had any opinions on this…i’m on Alternative Investments and the # of formulas to remember seem to be at least 1.5 Level 1, not to mention the concepts are harder. I’ll focus this on two main questions: Is the “know 70% of everything and you’ll be ok” rule still valid for level 2? Are we wasting time focusing on knowing “everything” when some outliers (econ, AI, derivatives, CF) are true outliers and we can spend more time focusing on the two biggest sections in FSA & equity?

even within equity i think there are some readings that are not important, i.e. reading 38 and more so for 39…I’d choose to focus on the more important stuff.

iregula Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve heard these comments from level 2 takers, > that you have to know EVERYTHING. Not sure if you > guys had any opinions on this…i’m on Alternative > Investments and the # of formulas to remember seem > to be at least 1.5 Level 1, not to mention the > concepts are harder. That’s a fair assessment. > I’ll focus this on two main questions: > Is the “know 70% of everything and you’ll be ok” > rule still valid for level 2? Only if you want to fail. > Are we wasting time focusing on knowing > “everything” when some outliers (econ, AI, > derivatives, CF) are true outliers and we can > spend more time focusing on the two biggest > sections in FSA & equity? If you score 50% or less on econ, AI, derivatives, and CF you will fail the exam. Regardless of how much time you spend on FSA and Equity, you aren’t going to pull 100% (or anything close to that) on those sections. You will need to have solid scores in the other areas in order to make up for the F_ed up questions that CFAI pulls out of nowhere. Especially Deriv and CF, those made up a huge chunk of the exam last year.

I’vev found the below link quite usefull to look at from Stalla - it tells you where to focus your energys on. http://stallakb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/stallakb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=313&p_sid=9D9uqMqj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_li=&p_pv=&p_cv=&p_prods=&p_cats=&p_sp=cF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3NvcnRfYnk9&p_topview=1