Do you still plan to go to B-School given global recession at hand?

Are there going to be jobs when we graduate in a couple of years?

i’m not planning on going to b-school for at least 5 years mostly because i only recently graduated and i don’t think i can get into a good school without some solid experience

I’m going to start a part-time MBA program in January. I will probably be working for the same company when I’m done but there will be more options.

Look, business is not going to stop because of this. The super high salaries might go away, but there is still going to be a need for expertise. Just because the material isn’t necessarily rocket science doesn’t mean that there’s no value in learning it. Running an organization well is not trivial. So, an MBA is not going to be useless, and it can be a very sensible strategy to try to get one while employment is scarce.

Good answer bchad. I was going to write something like that but couldn’t think of the right way to phrase it. Just because the days of easy money are over does not mean there will be no need for skilled professionals.

Yeah! We’ll find other ways to make easy money soon enough!

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah! > > We’ll find other ways to make easy money soon > enough! Let’s hope we are all wealthy and retired by the time this house of cards falters.

You mean by 2pm?

Dwight Wrote: > Just because the days of easy money are over does > not mean there will be no need for skilled > professionals. Why would someone go to school to become a skilled professional? That’s like someone going to space camp to become a violinist.

Whatever. Business talent will always be in high demand. Some will say that you can’t teach it, but I disagree.

There’s no doubt that experience matters, but if you are intelligent and educated, that experience is likely to accumulate faster. The only danger is whether the lessons learned over time are now the wrong lessons. That can happen either in school or from street learning.

WEll my bank just got bought by PNC so maybe I should turn my applications in a year earlier than I planned, heh heh

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There’s no doubt that experience matters, but if > you are intelligent and educated, that experience > is likely to accumulate faster. I totally agree with bchadwick on this one, experience is learning from your mistakes, education is learning from other people’s mistakes. The idea of b-school is to give you a framework to view the world / business from. That way you are able to assimilate the environment much faster and more accurately. That said there are people that can do this without a formal education, but then there is the issue of convincing people that you in fact can.

AND my bank by Wells. I resigned two weeks ago. Last day b*tches!

what do you plan to do next Dante?

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what do you plan to do next Dante? I’m moving to Moscow to join a private equity firm.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Look, business is not going to stop because of > this. The super high salaries might go away, but > there is still going to be a need for expertise. > The super high salaries are going to go away temporarily and then when the dust settles those financial innovators will see the changed world with a different perspective before everyone else sees it and create lucrative positions for themselves. I still plan on going to B school in 3-4 years.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > what do you plan to do next Dante? > > I’m moving to Moscow to join a private equity > firm. Wow congrats and best of luck!!!