Do you take off from work to study?

I’m taking two weeks. Using vaca days for the one week and company gives me a week off just to take the exam.

Greenman: You FIL is a major doooosh. I think the equilency math is Level I < CPA < Level II. And that’s now not 1964 when he took the exam.

Nice SW reference in the name.

Yeah, daddy-in-law is certainly on the dooshy side. But in order to be fair, we don’t live in an area with a lot of Charterholders, and he’s been pretty successful without it. He’s a combination of corporate controller/tax manager for his company. So he thinks that CPA is the only designation that’s ever been worth getting. He doesn’t recognize the value of the charter.

I think I took off the Friday before the exam and maybe Thursday too for levels 2 and 3, but that was just to make up for actually enjoying Memorial Day weekend.

I usually only take a off a few days before the exam. This year I’m taking 3 weeks for level III. It’s my entire allocation for the year. The way I look at it, if I pass, all of next year will be a vacation.

I won’t be taking the week off before the exam this year because I need the vacation days for an actual vacation planned later in the year.

However, I took a week off before writing level 1 in 2010, as well as three of the three other coworkers of mine who were writing the CFA at that point in time (we had a fairly large team so having four people off for the same week was allowed in this exception - plus it was BO - plus our manager understood).

So thats 4 more people who took a week off prior to the exam to add to your 100 person survey.

No, but I’m leaving work 2 hours earlier every single day in May (without permission) to study (in addition to taking the last week in May off)…

I’m in an unusal work situation where they don’t wish that I pass (b/c I’ll likely be leaving for a better job.) I’m literally the only employee left at “joke” of a firm…

How can you leave without permission?

I finish my work early, walk out to my car, and drive home.

The question is, “Do you take time off from work to study?”

BlackOmen answered, “No, I do not. However, I leave work two hours early every day to study. I also take the last week in May off from work, so that I can study.”

I’m confused.

Short answer: Yes.

I took time off for each level. At least 2-3 days for L1 and L2 and the full week for L3. It’s worth it for the extra peace of mind. You really can get a lot done when you don’t have work getting in the way.

I even sent my family away so I could have the place to myself for L2 and L3.

Just posted in the level 2 forums, but it applies here too. If you do take time off from work before the exam, what do you think you get the most value out of doing during that time? Im thinking of trying to get through all of the EOC questions and reading the blue box questions in the span of 2 weeks off, while trying to mix in 3-4 mocks. Thoughts?

Problems, Problems, Problems is my plan… gonna finish the Schweser, CFAI, and Finquiz mocks… any remaining time will be spent on the CFAI EoC’s (and redoing them till I’m blue in the face literally.)

Greenman, you’ll be fine. You passed every exam known to mankind. L3 isn’t rocket science.

2 weeks off

Spunboy - can your boss please adopt me?

I’ve taken the week off before the exam for levels 1 and 2 and will do it again this year for level 3. It’s nice to pound on problems and also take some time to relax.

I honestly do not see how you can not take time off to study. I plan on taking at least a week off for the next levels. I understand you can just be more efficient, get a lot more done after/before work and start reviewing earlier, but at the very minimum I feel like you anyone would need at least a couple of days off to get their head straight and mentally prepare for the exam. There is no way I could work a full day Friday, come home eat dinner, go to bed and wake up for the exam - not enough time for mental coaxing.

I got the green light a few days ago to stop working. My boss has been walking into my office unannounced and busting my chops if I’m not studying. I think he’s been checking my Bloomberg activity light and walking over if he sees it go green for too long.

He’s told me that the only work related thing I should be doing is taking phone calls from people above his pay grade.

When you recommend 500 hours, you kinda have to: http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-general-discussion/91327528

(I passed with about 350 - 400 on my 1st try)