Do you truly believe everything CFA says?

For one, intermediate term bullet bond dominants investment grade corporate bond market, and callable bonds make up the big share of the high yield market. Any fixed income expert can validate these? And material about BRIC, public/private exchange funds, etc… How real are these stuffs? It is so concerning to me that I am now spending my time mesmorzing the material so that I can get the whole CFA behind me. But aren’t we suppposed to learn something from the study as opposed to just remember a few points and pass the exam??

Oh, and the institutional IPS! Anyone use the summary table in the Schweser note to remember the RRTTRUL for each institutional IPS? To me, the whole IPS thing is very confusing, and I don’t have faith in what Schweser tells me. Just imagine that I tell a casualty insurance company that their risk tolerance level is moderate to high, lower than that of life companies’ but higher than the banks’ And their regulatory constraint is state laws and NAIC rules. I am pretty sure they will fire me right on the spot!!

Eastview Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For one, intermediate term bullet bond dominants > investment grade corporate bond market, and > callable bonds make up the big share of the high > yield market. Any fixed income expert can > validate these? Not considering myself an expert, but this is consistent with what I’ve seen in the market. > > And material about BRIC, public/private exchange > funds, etc… How real are these stuffs? It is so > concerning to me that I am now spending my time > mesmorzing the material so that I can get the > whole CFA behind me. But aren’t we suppposed to > learn something from the study as opposed to just > remember a few points and pass the exam?? BRIC is based on a model and you know how model results can change based on input varaibles. Besides, all forecast is going to be wrong. I agree, it is kind of silly that we have to memorize these stuff.

Eastview Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For one, intermediate term bullet bond dominants > investment grade corporate bond market, and > callable bonds make up the big share of the high > yield market. Any fixed income expert can > validate these? Agree. > And material about BRIC, public/private exchange > funds, etc… How real are these stuffs? It is so > concerning to me that I am now spending my time > mesmorzing the material so that I can get the > whole CFA behind me. But aren’t we suppposed to > learn something from the study as opposed to just > remember a few points and pass the exam?? Do you mean “memorizing”? I certainly wouldn’t call the curriculum “mesmerizing”! But really I don’t think the curriculum gets anywhere close to covering every topic in the amount of detail that you’d need to do this stuff professionally. It just provides a foundation for a broad range of topics across the spectrum of the investment industry. “To me, the whole IPS thing is very confusing, and I don’t have faith in what Schweser tells me. Just imagine that I tell a casualty insurance company that their risk tolerance level is moderate to high, lower than that of life companies’ but higher than the banks’ And their regulatory constraint is state laws and NAIC rules. I am pretty sure they will fire me right on the spot!!” By the time you’re in a position to be telling a casualty insurance company what their risk tolerance is, you’ll know what you really need to tell them.

>>aren’t we suppposed to learn something from the study as opposed to just remember a few points and pass the exam?? I don’t know how you’ve made it this far without learning anything. I’ve been in this industry close to 10 years now and I can’t believe how much I’ve learned from this program.