Do you want to buy into the market now?

Dow is up 4%.

no

just bought some dog

added staples last week. consumer staples. looking at some select names in aerospace/defense. I did politic research all weekend and defense spending will hold up no matter who gets elected. Health, a big if. Energy, a big if. but nooooo, not defense.

i have 35 years until retirement so yes, I’m still maxing out the 401k and roth

It’s amazing that all the people that decided to go 100% cash are now quiet. They were all so proud when the Dow was below 8,500 and now they have missed out on the 10% gain since then. Now I am not saying that the market will or won’t test the bottom again, but since nobody knows this is the reason why you stick with your long term plan and not freak out and go to all cash during tough times.

I put some in cash back then, and am far from quiet. Yep that 10% gain is sweet, but who cares about the 10% gain when you were cashed out before a 15% drop? Keep it in perspective please. I never said I was going to pick the best day to get out and back in, rather the contrary, and until that dow clicks up another 200pts I havent missed a thing except some volatility. I’m not sure where things are going, not going to brag about my 5% outperformance if I did decide to plug back in the market right now, but I dont see a point in knocking people who made an investment decision that has still paid off…on top of the fact that you are looking short term it is ridiculous and meaningless, cheers.

anyone trying to time the market, predict the bottom, etc is gambling, pure and simple. 95% of gains result from 5% of the time…(or something like that)

I am not looking at short term at all, I am just using that as an example. All that I am saying is that nobody ever knows what the market will bring from one day to the next. I also do agree with their thought about waiting it out to see what happens with everything going on. All that I was trying to say is that everyone was so proud of going to cash over the past couple of weeks when the market was going down, all the way to when the market was at it’s bottom. To my knowledge, most of the people in this forum are in their 20’s or 30’s and have a very long investment time horizon left. Events like this shouldn’t change your long term plan. Any adjustments should be made before large events happen like what has happened over the past year while continuing to make tactical shifts when needed. And again, I am not calling a bottom at all. I am just trying to keep thinking clearly and not letting emotion take over as hard as it is for most people. If you look at the past, many people went to cash when the market made a large downturn and really got bit when the market moved back up very quickly. My point was not to knock anyone but just understand why so many people let emotions take over with their investment accounts.

my long term investment strategy is made up of many shorter term strategies, thats all. I hear what you are saying, I am just speaking for those of us who see this as an investment strategy and not an emotional move.

rlange Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s amazing that all the people that decided to > go 100% cash are now quiet. They were all so proud > when the Dow was below 8,500 and now they have > missed out on the 10% gain since then. > > Now I am not saying that the market will or won’t > test the bottom again, but since nobody knows this > is the reason why you stick with your long term > plan and not freak out and go to all cash during > tough times. Not quiet, just busy… And yes you got a 10% gain after a big loss. The problem however of lots of foreclosure, declining housing price, disappearing corporations, hard to get credit and the soon to get credit card crisis haven’t finished.

Disappearing corporations? I hadn’t heard that one. I guess you mean financials? I’ve seen non-financial companies that are buying back so much stock they will soon disappear.

This is true, but how much of it is already priced into the market? PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Not quiet, just busy… And yes you got a 10% gain > after a big loss. The problem however of lots of > foreclosure, declining housing price, disappearing > corporations, hard to get credit and the soon to > get credit card crisis haven’t finished.

Today sorta of said NOT ENOUGH IS PRICED IN!

I just ran HILO on Bloomberg and there is 65 pages of stocks that hit their 52 week lows today. I like BID, HP and GLW