Does the CFA designation really help if you want to get into trading?

CFA is virtually a necessity these days if you want an analyst role or PM role at a mutual fund or other buy-side shop, but do prop trading firms really place any value on it? Can it help you get your foot in the door at one of these firms? For example DRW, or one of the prop trading groups at one of the ibanks? Seems like these types of groups put a greater emphasis on people who are more quants, have a high level of math/physics/engineering, can program and use databases etc. What about a sales trading desk?

bucky6225 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does the CFA designation really help [blank] No.

spend 3 years trading your own $$ and take them your record if any good - will take you further then CFA

Means nothing

If you are a CFA holder, does that hurt your chances getting onto a prop desk? They might label you.

You can always omit it from your application.

CFA don’t help for sh*t!

I was a trader, CFA helps a lot. I know a few MDs who would pick a charter holder vs. a non-charter holder every time. CFA represents an understanding of markets and proves your commitment to the industry. More helpful on the buy-side than sell-side but the sell-side needs guys who understand the research reports(although many don’t).

I was a trader, CFA helps a lot. I know a few MDs who would pick a charter holder vs. a non-charter holder every time. CFA represents an understanding of markets and proves your commitment to the industry. More helpful on the buy-side than sell-side but the sell-side needs guys who understand the research reports(although many don’t).

CFA is $h!t

It won’t take you anywhere. You will have to go by yourself.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can always omit it from your application. Interesting. I’ve seen a number of people who keep a crappy MBA out of their resumes, but never a charterholder. Maybe the CFA program is close to reach a new low.

I don’t put (until ask) info about my undergrad degree. Just MBA and other certificate/designation/candidateship etc.