Dow shooting up today

Up 230 now

No shorts, government bailout. Who would have thought??? Let’s hope a flaw is not discovered sending the Dow right back down plus some.

Bush’s speech last night was surprisingly good, and maybe people feel reassured. I do wonder if he understood anything he was actually saying other than “the economy is in trouble.”

oh come on, give him some credit, will ya. After all, he is the only MBA President ever. :slight_smile:

Sen. Bunning - “Bernanke and Paulson don’t care about what happens three months from not because they might not be here in three months” another great comment from a senator / congress (sarcasm) another good one: Congresswoman last night: “Mr. Bernanke (stern voice), I ask this question to you and your office many times, and never seem to get a straight answer. So can I please get a straight answer? What will the next financial crisis be, and what are the steps we can take to prevent it?”

Democracy - people who don’t know putting into power more people who don’t know to decide on issues they don’t know about.

Meanwhile the TED spread is over 3. Looks like bailout will be a day late and a dollar short.

Holy crap - good point NakedPuts hasn’t hit above 3 since since '87 has it…

IIRC, the TED spread indicates the risk of lending to the largest banks vs. lending to the US govt, yes? It’s basically how much risk you take by lending to a non-money-printer.

referesh me…i am swamped at work (just a 10 minute lunch break) but what is the TED SPREAD? Based on my knowledge ( I looked at this like 2.5 months ago)…I think it is a Smart Money theory? Ahhh December is coming to quickly haha

Treasury - eurodollar spread. Kinda like a short term swap spread.

A better measure is the LIBOR OIS, which in normal times is around 8bps, but is now around 200bps.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IIRC, the TED spread indicates the risk of lending > to the largest banks vs. lending to the US govt, > yes? It’s basically how much risk you take by > lending to a non-money-printer. Sorry, I said risk, when in fact I meant the risk premium. But to the rest of the crowd, is this the right interpretation for the TED spread.