Drinking

People think a lot financiers drink so much just so that they become bulimic and don’t gain any weight. It’s not true from what I’ve seen. Just being skinny does not mean you have to put your finger in your butt.

but see that’s exactly my point. Saying things like “my metabolism has changed since I’ve gotten older” is nothing more than a coping mechanism for you to hide behind the fact that you’re simply not as active as you once were.

Hey buddy do you want to start a thread asking a question and getting serious dialogue, or do you just want to patrol around here knowing nothing at 26 years old and act like a jerk?

where u from OP, born n raised

It’s actually the same amount of calories (400) whether you have muscles or not.

What you are describing is called binge drinking, and studies show it is the absolute worst thing you do for your health – even if it feels good at the time. Look it up.

Bigger and more muscular use more energy though. So they can consume more calories without exceeding daily allowance…

Drinking when you’re 22 yro is completely different ballgame than when you’re 31 yro. The recovery time is just so much longer. Not only physically but I also feel as mental alertness plummets.

To start off the year, I challenged myself to not have a drink for 100 days. So far so good. I might have to extend the sober-sally phase until June 15th…from experience I know that boozing+studying for cfa exam is not a great mix.

Although DoW’s response was pretty intense, I agree with his sentiments. At 26, I was still 195 lbs and could run a 5k in 22:30. I could drink until the bar closed, go home and fk my girlfriend for a couple of hours, pass out, and still be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 8:00 a.m.

Now that I’m pushing 40, the metabolism has slowed, the weight is packing on (admittedly, mostly due to my poor choices), the two kids are demanding, the wife is pushy, the house needs to be picked up, I have to do laundry for five people instead of just one, and work takes more time and attention because I’ve moved onward and upward. And the occasional times when I do drink, I feel terrible the next day–but I can’t just lay in bed all day. I still have to parent two kids. And the headache hurts more. And it lasts longer.

Yes, these things happen. Around 27 or 28, you’ll notice that it all starts to go downhill.

haha i can confirm. i have to work harder to stay fit. cant tell if its natural depreciation or the lack of incentive to remain fit. what age you get married greenie?

anyways just drink hard liquor vs beer. its better in terms of calories and it gets you drunk faster. also i feel that when you get drunk and go clubbing, you walk a lot, and dance more for a long time, so i typically lose weight on a night out.

I used to work out more for appearance, but now that goal doesn’t justify the intolerable boredom. I’ve needed to find ways of exercising that I enjoy and then it is easy to maintain momentum. Kids are definitely a game changer for over-drinking since I basically need to wake up with a 6 handle at the latest regardless of how I’m feeling.

I just dont have energy to workout anymore. I get up at 7:30 and out my last kid to bed at 10:30pm. Just no energy except to play dotes/pubg or watch some show with my wide

Same, going to the gym and working out or running a trail is incredibly boring. I get the health benefits but I hate it. Used to go all the time when I didn’t have any money but now if I have any free time, I go do something fun.

First off, I don’t think you can use my age against me to weaken my credibility when it comes to things like health/fitness considering you represent a generation that is half confused eating an egg yolk is more venomous than a rattlesnake bite, and the other half is mind blown that you shockingly lose weight when you stop eating so many calories (keto). NOW, that being said, I’ll bend a little. Let me revise my statement I made earlier to: “it’s not as black and white as you want to think it is”. Does your body slow down a little as you age? Yes, due to musculature deterioration, HOWEVER, if you were to remain in an active state you can greatly combat a declining BMR pretty easily, as long as you keep your TDEE elevated.

There are many things I care more about the CFA program and finance in my life, and one of them happens to be fitness. I’m not trying to start a petty argument on here - in fact the initial question I wanted to talk about was the general sense of emptiness/depression I feel the morning after drinking, not really weight management. Sorry if you felt like I was personally attacking you.

now can you please reinstate the upvotes? I was pretty content with the number 69

I was preparing to come in here to defend DoW and decided to even cite credible sources. As it turns out, the kid’s right.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/501141-what-age-does-your-metabolism-slow-down/

There are endless sources all stating the same thing. Our metabolism hasn’t slowed down. We have.

Six one way, a half dozen the other. Suppose metabolism doesn’t slow down. Ok. Does it feel the same to run 10 miles with your joints at 30, 40 or 50 as it does at 20? Is your schedule as free with kids/real job/etc. as it was at 20? No and no. These things conspire to make staying in shape seem like a Sisyphean effort. Whether we call this metabolism or something else is truly irrelevant to the central point that it becomes harder to stay in shape. So even if you can measure resting caloric consumption rates in a lab and it tells you there is no deterioration, out in the real world that scarcely matters.

bump

The vast majority of Americans can’t handle their drink, maybe because you start later and college is treated as more than a thinly veiled excuse to get as tanked up as possible and do as much shagging as you can.

Nobody here seems to appreciate that eating is cheating. In the UK if you have a work night out you head straight to the pub, preferably at 5pm, and you drink there + maybe a few other places until the night naturally fizzles out. At which point the people remaining collectively decide it’s time for food and either go somewhere casual for sit down food (which is always a terrible idea) or you all go and get takeaway food somewhere and eat it on your way home or once you’ve got home depending just how *****ed you are.

Then the next day you’re in at 8 and functioning normally, maybe a little tired from the loss of sleep.

December is basically this for a month. After about day 3 it gets easier to manage although it does get gradually harder to actually get drunk.

I always thought that “eating is cheating” had a different connotation, but thank you for clearing up what this means in the UK.