DUBAI

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I know if you’re a white male who speaks good > > English, you are pretty much set with getting a > > decent job in Dubai. > > Nice to know there’s someplace this is still true. and why is that ? You prefer to be compensated based on the colour of your skin ? True story : 2 guys with the same education background ( same high school . same university in the U.S. and similar grades nd work experience ) . Abc is white and Xyz is south Asian and are doing the exact same job …guess who gets paid more ? ABC. Why ? Just because of his skin colour . This was about 7 years ago and I’m sure alot has changed since then but discrimination is still present .

I’ve lived and have been visiting dubai for sometime now. Discrimination is highly visible there. If you are white, you do have plenty of opportunities, but if you are asian or any other race (even if you’re american or british), you are looked down upon. I guess the only asians i’ve seen succeding are with very high qualifications vs white avg joe. Sad but true

there are some very sucessful asian people there but they are all businessmen who probably moved there like 30 yrs ago when that place was still a desert and oil was just discovered .

Rudeboi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NakedPuts Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > kkent Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I know if you’re a white male who speaks good > > > English, you are pretty much set with getting > a > > > decent job in Dubai. > > > > Nice to know there’s someplace this is still > true. > > and why is that ? You prefer to be compensated > based on the colour of your skin ? > > True story : 2 guys with the same education > background ( same high school . same university in > the U.S. and similar grades nd work experience ) . > Abc is white and Xyz is south Asian and are doing > the exact same job …guess who gets paid more ? > ABC. Why ? Just because of his skin colour . This > was about 7 years ago and I’m sure alot has > changed since then but discrimination is still > present . BGO

I have been to Dubai a few times…yes in GCC countries discrimination based on your race is always there…not meaning to hijack the thread but had related question in mind: what if someone’s origin is Asia (e.g Indian) and they have foreign citizenship/passport (Canadian, Brit, US, Austrailian) coupled with a western country’s work experience…what are their chances of success in UAE? Does it get any better by having a foreign/passport? The question might sound dumb but in Saudia, it is very common to see the salaries and chances of success at job getting better when the employee possess a foeign passport, even if the origin is Asia. Wanted to know whether it is really the same in UAE.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I know if you’re a white male who speaks good > > English, you are pretty much set with getting a > > decent job in Dubai. > > Nice to know there’s someplace this is still true. I feel immense joy that the conception, and more importantly the reality, that a brilliant black woman like Dr. Condoleezza Rice (not saying I agree with her politics necessarily nor that I am a liberal) can become, and in fact IS, Secretary of State of the United States of America and it upsets/annoys/offends people like you to see her like that.

Western passport and/or western work experience helps. Canadian Indian will have better prospects than Indian Indian.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought Dubai does not have oil, it’s Abu Dhabi > that has the oil. N’est pas? True. But they need somewhere to pump that money into.

What are some resources to check out for finance jobs in Dubai/UAE?

I know a lot of people who have lived there and subsequently moved to canada, according to them there is a lot of discrimination against indian’s and pakistanis in the entire GCC, put also there are tremendous opportunities if you are an entrepeneur outside of finance.

Rudeboi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NakedPuts Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > kkent Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I know if you’re a white male who speaks good > > > English, you are pretty much set with getting > a > > > decent job in Dubai. > > > > Nice to know there’s someplace this is still > true. > > and why is that ? You prefer to be compensated > based on the colour of your skin ? > > True story : 2 guys with the same education > background ( same high school . same university in > the U.S. and similar grades nd work experience ) . > Abc is white and Xyz is south Asian and are doing > the exact same job …guess who gets paid more ? > ABC. Why ? Just because of his skin colour . This > was about 7 years ago and I’m sure alot has > changed since then but discrimination is still > present . bumbaclat. could be because of their personality and actual ability, I’ve found that some of those traits arent true indicators of ability. for example, my friend eddie has an MA from UWO and he interviewed for a IB position in korea at MS against one of his students who he had as a TA. The student got the job and my friend admits that it was because he was more focused and aggressive. to me it seems that personality traits can be a significant determining factor in how people succeed in general especially outside of the realm of finance. Either way I agree with you, I am a white male and the fact that I can be judged by anything other then my ability or my character makes me extremely angry.