DUBAI

hey guys, I am wondering if any one of you has experience in the financial markets of Dubai. To what extent has the current wall street credit crunch and subsequent job cutting spree affected the Dubai market??? I am thinking abt going over, staying there for a month and hunting for an entry level gig. i dont have a lot of experience, just graduated last year and flunked LII a few days ago. If any one of you has any info or experience (head hunters, dynamics of the market, type of ppl they want etc etc) that you think would help me please let me know. i’ll appreciate it alot. To all those ppl who might want to mock my post for any reason…plz dont, i just flunked!

I do know people who went to Qatar as Financial Analysts - (not sure what they did after they got there) I am guessing Dubai might be similar in terms of opportunities.

I know if you’re a white male who speaks good English, you are pretty much set with getting a decent job in Dubai.

what about white female?

Learn to swear at the men in Arabic and you will be fine olzhik :smiley:

Your colour or gender has nothing to do with your opportunities overthere. There a lot of qulaified indians who are working there for good salaries (Not white) . It’s your qualification and experience with good reputation places that matter. Dubai is mutli culture city and the most dynamic place in the Middle East. English is the business languauge there. Everyone can speak English. Qulaified people who can speak both Arabic and English fluently have better opportunities. Arabic speaking is becoming an advantge. If you need to know more available jobs in GCC and their requirements, try this www.monstergulf.com. Also google for recruitment agencies in Dubai. There are many.

ahb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Your colour or gender has nothing to do with your > opportunities overthere. Just make sure you get paid enough to hire a driver since you won’t be able to do so yourself :slight_smile: (as a woman) Or you can take the pink taxi.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahb Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Your colour or gender has nothing to do with > your > > opportunities overthere. > > Just make sure you get paid enough to hire a > driver since you won’t be able to do so yourself > :slight_smile: (as a woman) Or you can take the pink taxi. I thought women had full autonomy in Dubai. Are you saying women can’t drive in Dubai? What is that bullcrap about “Dubai is the middle eastern haven for Westerners and they can do whatever they want there.”

According to my Muslim roommate who grew up in Dubai and whose parents still live there, if you’re a white, English-speaking American male, you have far more opportunities than anyone else and that knowing Arabic has no material impact at all on your career. This is what he tells me–I’ve never been there in my life and likely never will.

Women can drive in the UAE…it’s Saudi where they can’t

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > According to my Muslim roommate who grew up in > Dubai and whose parents still live there, if > you’re a white, English-speaking American male, > you have far more opportunities than anyone else > and that knowing Arabic has no material impact at > all on your career. This is what he tells me–I’ve > never been there in my life and likely never will. agree that if you’re white, you have more opportunities but having Arabic language skills definitely gives you a leg up. Most jobs in the region actually require Arabic.

Positivecarry, in reference to international financial jobs.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > According to my Muslim roommate who grew up in > Dubai and whose parents still live there, if > you’re a white, English-speaking American male, > you have far more opportunities than anyone else > and that knowing Arabic has no material impact at > all on your career. This is what he tells me–I’ve > never been there in my life and likely never will. I think you forgot to include “gentile”. I hear it’s a big deal over there and it kinda disqualfies my fiancee and I from moving over…

LOL. Too classic. Der Juden, eh?

I recently spent 3 weeks in dubai. The growth rate there is unbelievable. There are lots of opportunities in finance, but not as much as Singapore or Hong Kong. Real estate and private equity are big, but there are less opportunities in asset management and trading. And they HUGELY value the CFA over there. The markets have been really crazy . Property prices are on a bubble, and inflation is rapidly rising (USD pegged + rapid growth). But oil money continues to be pumped into the economy it is ridiculous.

I thought Dubai does not have oil, it’s Abu Dhabi that has the oil. N’est pas?

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahb Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Your colour or gender has nothing to do with > your > > opportunities overthere. > > Just make sure you get paid enough to hire a > driver since you won’t be able to do so yourself > :slight_smile: (as a woman) Or you can take the pink taxi. Obviously you have never been there and don’t know what you are talking about.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know if you’re a white male who speaks good > English, you are pretty much set with getting a > decent job in Dubai. Nice to know there’s someplace this is still true.

Dubai: my 2 cents… I have lived there and the job opportunities are easy for those who are US-UK educated or work expereince in Western countries. Arabic could be an advantage but not necessary unless you work for local arab company. Driver’s license could be a challenge unless you have a western country license as driving test are tough. Male/female can drive, no discrimination.

Thanks all u guys for ur input.