Dues

It sounds ridiculous to even say but if the company I work for didn’t cover my dues every year, I’m not 100% sure I’d pay. It’s not that I don’t value the designation. I enjoyed the process of obtaining the charter and I actually use a good bit of what was covered but I can think of about 432 other ways I’d rather spend $350. I think it comes down to the fact that I just don’t feel all that invested in the Institute and my local society. I should probably look into getting more involved. It would be interesting to see the numbers behind how many people simply stop paying their dues and when they typically stop paying them.

~110,000 CFA charterholders x $350 = profit ~130,000 candidates per year x $700 = profit The CFAI definitely pulls in a boatload of money every year. The day you stop paying your dues is the day you pay cash for your new lambo.

@ M&E - what’s the rationale for your firm not paying?

Are the entire dues only $350 a year?? I’m actually really surprised; I figured they’d be upward of a thousand atleast… Anybody who is a Charterholder, if the company doesn’t pay for it, should be able to afford 350 A YEAR… wow, that’s actually awesome!

MFIN— Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are the entire dues only $350 a year?? > > I’m actually really surprised; I figured they’d be > upward of a thousand atleast… > > Anybody who is a Charterholder, if the company > doesn’t pay for it, should be able to afford 350 A > YEAR… wow, that’s actually awesome! Considering you get next to nothing for it, why would you expect the dues to be higher? Whether you can afford something has nothing to do with whether an expense is reasonable or not.

Considering you get next to nothing for being a Charterholder?.. Well, if you feel this way why are you wasting your time with the designation? Why don’t you spend your time more wisely then if you feel the CFA is a waste of time

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @ M&E - what’s the rationale for your firm not > paying? There isn’t any. I was just making the point that if they didn’t… My firm actually paid all of my test fees, book expenses (yes, we had to buy the source text books before the CFA finally decided to compile the material and lump the price of the test and materials), study material expenses (schweser), and my review course fees in advance. Maybe if I spent some of my own money, I’d feel more invested.

I got a buddy who’s a partner at a one of the big boys and he told me the other day that he hasn’t bothered to renew his charter for ten years.

FWIW ($75 in your case!), you don’t need to belong to a local society. I’ve been a member for 7 years and I’ve never belonged to a local society despite my company paying my dues.

I’ve received a postcard and an email to renew my fees and join my local association as the deadline is July 15th. I mean wtf - thats forever away.

Mudda, i got it too. CFAI is hardcore on us Indians.

I got an email saying that if I renew by 5/31, I’ll get a 25% off coupon for the CFA-Gear online store. AWESOME!