dui story.

I think TN has the most f’ed up DUI laws as far as i’ve heard.

On one hand, if you’re a passenger, you can have a beer legally, its fine.

On the other hand…“A passenger or owner of a vehicle may be found guilty of DUI under Tennessee law even if the passenger or owner never drives. As a result, two or more people in the same car may be arrested and charged with Driving Under the Influence, even if only one person drove or operated the vehicle”

http://www.tndui.com/dui-by-consent

Must be rednecj law. I always thought you had to have keys to ignition hot and fresh out the kitchen mama rolling that body every man in here wishin

Are you from TN? It sounds like bs…I’ve never heard of someone being charged with DUI for just being a passenger. There’s a reason you have a DD or call an uber…

I don’t live in TN, but I go there to camp/raft once a year and heard about it there.

I think people refer to it as the Steve McNair DUI clause http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2866004

McNair owner of vehicle driven by drunken driver

May 10, 2007

• Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was charged with driving under the influence Thursday even though police said his brother-in-law was behind the wheel of the pickup registered to the former Tennessee Titan.

Although McNair was just a passenger, he was charged with a misdemeanor under a Tennessee law that prohibits a vehicle owner from letting it be driven by someone who is inebriated.

One of the original Leykis 101 Sponsors!

#OldSchool

I had a feeling that would be the example you use. Your response to this thread was bit misleading.

If you’re sober and you allow someone to get behind the wheel and drive the car (while you’re in the car) then you’re negligent. I don’t really see what’s wrong with that? If you can help it, you shouldn’t be letting your friends/family drive drunk anyway. If you’re not in the car and someone drunk drives your car then you can’t be charged with something; however, there maybe special circumstances where you can.

Never talk to cops. Goes to show it can only lead to trouble. All they want to do is fuck with you and get convictions. Bunch of lying psychos.

One of the cops in Nashville got caught planting weed in cars… He would have gotten away with it, but the problem with it was that he did it so much that people started noticing that every person he arrested had weed in their car.

In one of the restaurants my friend worked at, this lady came in and ordered a drink. She drank the entire thing and said, “I didn’t like it and I want my money back.” My friend said, “no, you drank the entire thing. You can’t have your money back. If you didn’t like it then you should have stopped drinking it and asked after the first few sips.” So, the lady calls up her husband who’s a cop, and the cop says, “I’m a police officer. If you don’t give her her money back I will arrest you.” Seriously, wtf???

What lie did the cops tell in this particular case?

Nothing to the best of our knowledge. Yet. Who knows what they’ll say when it gets into the court room.

They’ll do anything to secure convictions.

Depends on the jurisdiction. Some are more lenient, some will nail you to the wall and throw darts at your balls.

The cops didn’t stop him - they were at his car when he got back. Checking on an abandoned vehicle on the freeway = they have reason to be there and check your friend’s story. Did your friend admit to driving beforehand, was the car still hot, did he appear impaired before breathalyzer? Those add up to probable cause. He can tell the judge he was planning to sleep it off, but coming back with gas shows intent, which hurts that defense. You don’t have to even be in the vehicle - keys in the pocket mean constructed possession of it.

Public Intox is less of a pain in the ass to write up and easier to win in court when you don’t have dashcam footage of a traffic offense, the driver getting out and failing a sobriety test, etc., but if one of the cops was a rookie, he probably needed the experience working a DUI.

Your friend may be able to plea down to public intox, but that largely depends on how inundated the jurisdiction is and if anyone has been killed in an alcohol-related accident recently.

Yo nerdy blop. Learn to use the caps lock fool

Check out this guy escape from a cop car using just a lighter:

https://streamable.com/fhjog

haha that was amazing. he already had the cuffs off, i’m sure he ran for it

Given that the drinking culture in the US is so much more responsible I find it really bizarre that you’re all totally ok with drink driving.

I follow the law. But honestly I think drunk driving is a stupid law. They made a general law to the whole public because of a few sob stories. I can drink and drive responsibly. Kind of like speeding. The penalties for a Dui is more severe than a coke possession case. It is beyond me why this is the case.

Nerdyblop, making the case that dui should be legal. it’s a bold strategy cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.

yeah nerdy, you’re insane. it’s not a few sob stories. it is people dying from drunk drivers several times a day and hundreds of injuries a day as a result of drunk drivers across the US.

a friend of mine died at the hands of a drunk driver veering into oncoming traffic. another friend broke his neck/back and was hospitalized for months at the hands of a drunk driver ignoring a stop sign and t-boning him.

if you can drink and drive responsibly, you are likely under the limit. if not, you overestimate your ability. just because you have driven drunk and not killed someone doesn’t verify above average skill, it likely means you haven’t been faced with a driving decision that requires a quick and well thoughout response. i have had two very close calls while driving in my life as a result of others’ bad driving (they were probably drunk), and if i were intoxicated, i can attest that i and my family probably wouldn’t be here.

i drink too and don’t like the restraint of it too but it’s for very good reason. please don’t try and justify the activity because it will probably convince some idiot to go kill somebody.

I’ve probably paid $20/day in Uber fees for the last week. It’s worth it.