Dumbest Politician?

I nominate Steve King of Iowa. I don’t know how I didn’t hear this the first time around. This may be the stupidest thing I have heard any politician say (Bachman excluded):

“What I’ve said is we need to respect humans more than we do animals. Whenever we start to elevate animals above humans, we’ve crossed a moral line. For example, when there’s a sexual predator out there, who has impregnated a young girl, say a 13-year-old girl — and it happens in America more times than you or I would like to think — that sexual predator can take that girl off the playground of a middle school, and haul her across a state line, and force her to get an abortion to eradicate the evidence of his crime, and bring her back and drop her off at the swing set. And that’s not against the law in the United States…”

Partisan source, but it’s a quote. Starts around 3:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtBjSAui3k

Presumably this is a pro-life kind of statement. Although this is worded in an extremely creepy way, I think I understand the point he is trying to make - state-based abortion control would be ineffective if people can just get abortions in a neighboring state. Perhaps sexual predators (presumably a parent or relative of the victim) can hide the evidence with abortion and will therefore be uncaught.

Of course, I don’t know what he is proposing in this case as an alternative to abortion. Should we have all the pregnant child sex victims carry the pregnancies to term? Seems like this would cause a lot of problems too.

I thought it was the governor of Connecticut, William O’Neil.

“People don’t want hand outs. People want hand jobs!”

This quote was actually him trying to defend his stance for legalizing dog fighting, because since we allow humans to fight (boxing, mma) banning dog fighting is putting dogs above humans or something. Pretty sure the average dog is smarter than this Rep. King.

Joe Biden

nancy pelosi

Other than they’re good at conniving.

I’m surprised nobody said the guy who said, “Allowing an abortion in the case of rape is bogus. Women who get legitimately raped can’t get pregnant. Their body will reject it.”

That’s right up there with a guy who ran for governor of my state (and lost, unsurprisingly). “If you’re gonna get raped and there’s no way out of it, you might as well just lay back and enjoy it.”

And Nancy Pelosi: “I think that natural gas is a good, clean alternative to fossil fuels.”

You know, if every statement (or a substantial proportion) you ever made is recorded, I’m sure each of us has a whole list of slip-ups that can make us sound pretty dumb. Mistaken data points, occasional bad wordings, etc. aren’t good gauges. It’s really how the whole thinking process fits together that would really determine whether someone is smart or dumb.

For example: I’m horrified by the guy who thought that getting pregnant was proof that it wasn’t really rape. It makes you wonder what he understands about biology. On the other hand, feminists got all upset about the phrase “legitimate rape,” which was intendend to mean “a real rape,” and not “a rape that’s ok to do.”. So this guy was dumb, but for the quality of his thinking, and not simply for his choice of words (the two may be related, but one still needs to focus on the right thing).

Well, for the Pelosi quote above, I think it was pretty clear that she meant NG is a cleaner alternative to other fossil fuels (coal), so I agree with you to an extent.

However, many on this very forum participate in conference calls, videos and meetings that are recorded. Some even do so frequently. If my boss goes on CNBC and says large “crap” (instead of cap) stocks by accident, then that is a slip up and its funny. If he says that it is legal to impregnate and kidnap a 13 year old then…well, there’s just no reason anybody with any sort of power should ever let that statement leave their lips.

BWYF, I think we are agreed on both counts there.

When I grow up, I want to be wise like BChad lol