Duration of a call option

How do you explain a duration of a call option?

I don’t recall seeing this in the Level III curriculum; where’d you see it?

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that it’s the percentage change in the call option’s price for a 1% change in the risk-free rate.

There was a formula in Schweser for call option delta=(call price *call duration) / (price of underlying*Duration of underlying) which does not make much sense to me.

You can take out the call duration from here.

it is in the middle of the Fixed Income 2nd reading - in the white text.

call option duration = delta of option * (price of underlying / call price) * Duration of Underlying.

when option is out of the money - delta of option is low, call price is low. (price of underlying / call price) will be high.

when option is in the money - delta is high, call price is high. (price of underlying / call price) will be low.

In essence there is a push up / pull down effect on the first two factors.

1 Like

so bascially depens on Duration of Underlying.

So,

option\ duration = option\ Δ × \frac{underlying\ price}{option\ price} × underlying\ duration
= \frac{Δoption\ price}{Δunderlying\ price} × \frac{1}{option\ price} × \left(underlying\ price × underlying\ duration\right)
= \frac{Δoption\ price}{option\ price} × \frac{1}{Δunderlying\ price} × \left(underlying\ price × \frac{Δunderlying\ price}{underlying\ price × \%ΔYTM}\right)
= \%Δoption\ price × \frac{1}{\%ΔYTM}
= \frac{\%Δoption\ price}{\%ΔYTM}

For a parallel shift in the yield curve, \%ΔYTM = \%Δr_f, so,

option\ duration = \frac{\%Δoption\ price}{\%Δr_f}

Wow!

I got a question right for once.

1 Like

I do remember in the 2013 exam they had provided the 4 other things and asked to calculate the duration of the call option - direct formula application … :slight_smile:

3 points for 1 mins work.

Awesome!

2012 AM Q7 D.

Using fixed income’s quata.

Anybody know if this has been removed (duration of call option)? Was in the 2012 AM Mock but can’t remember seeing it in text. Thanks.

it is in the middle of the Fixed Income 2nd reading - in the white text.

call option duration = delta of option * (price of underlying / call price) * Duration of Underlying.

look IN THE WHITE TEXT…

Check section 5.3.6.1 …

got it, thanks CPK

How do you get the most recent material?

the reading has not changed in forever !

so the section numbers on the reading do not change either…

it is the same in the books I used – and I asked you to look it up in yours - and it was the same!

no magic there!

This derivation looks so complicated