Easy one it seems

Asset Return 1 1.3 2 1.4 3 2.2 4 3.4 What is the sample standard deviation of asset returns? A) 0.83%. B) 0.97%. C) 1.16%. D) 1.97%.

Use 3 in Denominator :slight_smile: if you are not getting it right !

Or use your calculator!

sample std dev = underroot (var) mean - 8.3/4 = 2.075 (1.3-2.075)^2 + (1.4-2.075)^2 + (2.2-2.075)^2 + (3.4-2.075)^2 = B i say is answer. took 3 mins to do it in my head.

I love the BAII Plus Pro, B.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love the BAII Plus Pro, B. How do you do this one?

you can find, std dev, and mean very easily on hp12c too.

2nd->DATA Then you enter the numbers in starting at X0, skip the Y0 since it is only one variable in this problem. So you enter it, hit the ENTER button, then down twice, repeat til you have them all entered. Then 2nd->STAT (right next to DATA), this gives you a bunch of info on the data set, mean, std deviation, sample std deviation, etc.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2nd->DATA > Then you enter the numbers in starting at X0, skip > the Y0 since it is only one variable in this > problem. So you enter it, hit the ENTER button, > then down twice, repeat til you have them all > entered. > > Then 2nd->STAT (right next to DATA), this gives > you a bunch of info on the data set, mean, std > deviation, sample std deviation, etc. That’s pretty sweet! I never knew that…

Oh man Sox, you need to get on that!

I’ve just been calculating it long-hand! :slight_smile:

Oh lord no, you need to stop that. Check out the manual on the Texas Instrument site, I thought it was useful for that function and the depreciation schedules as well. Anything to save time and errors on the exam, I need all the edge I can get.

Dang, it might be too late though, to start learning something new. I’ll have to look through my manual at home tonight. I’ve got the TVM and CF down–those are easy! Now I’ll have to use the DATA/STAT for these types of questions!

Do you really think that there will be really easy questions like this on the exam?

I am sure. out 120, they gotta ask at least 60 questions that everyone can answer.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2nd->DATA > Then you enter the numbers in starting at X0, skip > the Y0 since it is only one variable in this > problem. So you enter it, hit the ENTER button, > then down twice, repeat til you have them all > entered. > > Then 2nd->STAT (right next to DATA), this gives > you a bunch of info on the data set, mean, std > deviation, sample std deviation, etc. o_O Wow. I like this!!! I also was doing this long hand.

Yes, because it tests your understanding of the sample vs. population and whether to divide by 3 or 4… Just my opinion…

This is a “hard” question according to some sources. :wink: