eBook Questions

To those of you that have downloaded the eBook… how does it print? Is it basically the same clarity as the actual book, or is it smaller and blurrier? To try it out, I downloaded the “sample”. When I tried to print the sample, it printed slightly condensed with the text harder to read. This is retarded and useless. I wonder if this is a problem with just the “sample” doc. Please do tell. I hate lugging around the big books, and so I usually cut out the pages myself and staple them by Reading # anyway. This way I can read them on the train or on the plane, on the lawn or on the john, and on the sofa or on the… nothing rhymes with sofa, but you get the point. So, if I can get the eBook and print it myself, it would help keep my box cutter sharp and my band-aid box full.

…also, does anybody know if the eBook can be accessed on any of the eBook readers? I gues, in theory, one can print it to PDF format and then import it… but I tried this on the sample, and again, the quality is a bit blurry and it took a good minute or more for just 14 pages. It would be hell for 2400 pgs!

I got the ebook. The clarity is fine, but its some proprietary reader thing called vitalsource. Im not sure if it works on readers, but I’m guessing no… Check out vitalsource.com

vitalsource has a feature that read the material to you. Its so irritating and is goign to be useless.

rolo, have you tried printing it?

I give it a month till someone cracks vitalsource’s software and the curriculum appears on tpb.

I printed the entire six books to pdf via Foxit pdf printer as I could not take the limitations of the mandatory vitalsource software. The quality is inferior to the vitalsource reader, but still somewhat OK. However, the weight of the files is simply unacceptable (in the 200 MB range per book). The process took about 5 hours to complete (in the background, of course). IMHO CFA institute made a mistake by banking on an immature reader like vitalsource for such important material. They should have followed GARP and chosen Locklizard which yields crystal-clear password-protected pdfs that are much lighter than the clunky vitalsource files (a staggering 1 GB total for 6 pdf books) and adds an array of functionality (e.g., zooming, an assumed standard, entirely missing from vitalsource).

mst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I printed the entire six books to pdf via Foxit > pdf printer as I could not take the limitations of > the mandatory vitalsource software. The quality is > inferior to the vitalsource reader, but still > somewhat OK. However, the weight of the files is > simply unacceptable (in the 200 MB range per > book). The process took about 5 hours to complete > (in the background, of course). > > IMHO CFA institute made a mistake by banking on an > immature reader like vitalsource for such > important material. They should have followed GARP > and chosen Locklizard which yields crystal-clear > password-protected pdfs that are much lighter than > the clunky vitalsource files (a staggering 1 GB > total for 6 pdf books) and adds an array of > functionality (e.g., zooming, an assumed standard, > entirely missing from vitalsource). Why cant we just have em in PDF…Jesus Christ…

>>Why cant we just have em in PDF…Jesus Christ… I never understood this. This should have been done years ago. They already force us to “pay” for the books. Why not release them via pdf on CFAI website? There should be no worry about revenue loss due to piracy… unless they’re worried about non-CFA candidates accessing CFA materials. But if some poor schmuck really wanted to suffer through CFA material w/o receiving a charter, I’m sure he could buy the CFA curriculum for next to nothing on eBay. There’s an abundant supply since they force us to repurchase ENTIRE curriculum if we fail. Anyway… I’m disappointed that the print quality out of vitalsource is lacking. I guess I’ll be going with the print version and my trusty box cutter.

I noticed that Schweser is offering PDF versions of the notes for 2011…

unless i’m mistaken, schweser writes their own notes every year and offers them in PDF. this is not the same as the CFAI curriculum. and vitalsource lets you search, highlight etc.

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > unless i’m mistaken, schweser writes their own > notes every year and offers them in PDF. this is > not the same as the CFAI curriculum. and > vitalsource lets you search, highlight etc. Agreed…I bought Schweser notes for CFA L1 and L2 and paid extra for CFAI’s e-book for L2 and L3. I just had never seen Schweser previously offer their notes in PDF.

A few problem: Huge file size of the ebook, >300mb, which take ages to download Blurrier and text looks grey and in small print Program is slow, use lots of memory

The ebook is a disaster. I bought both ebook and hard copy but am likely to rely on the hard copy. The vitalsource software is limited and the print quality dreadful.

Site with reviews of the best sites where you can buy ebooks. Save yourself the hassle of researching 3, 4 or 5 different sites and go straight to the best … Buy Ebooks