Economic Profit

There is a question:

A company is investing in a $300 million project that is being depreciated on a straight straight-line basis to zero over a two two-year life with no salvage value. The project will generate operating earnings of $130 million each year for the two years. The weighted average cost of capital and required rate of return for the project is 10%. Company’s tax rate is 30%.

What is economic profit for the company in years 1 and 2?

According to the formula of economic profit in corporate finance, in the first year, $WACC=$300*10%=$30,

so the economic profit for year 1=EBIT*(1-tax rate)-$WACC=130*(1-30%)-30=61

Due to the depreciation, the value of intitial investment at the end of year 1 becomes 300-300/2=150

So for year 2, $WACC=150*10%=15,

hence economic profit=EBIT*(1-tax rate)-$WACC=130*(1-30%)-15=76

Discount these two economic profit back to the beginning time with WACC as discount rate, we get an NPV=118.26

This result sounds counter intuitive to me. We invested 300, it depreciates in two years which means we cannot get it back, instead, we only get total $WACC of $45, plus the two so called ‘economic profit’. Adding them together even without a discount rate, it is less than 300. How come we can have a profit, and how come the NPV is positive which means there is a value added to the company?

I really don’t understand where the problem comes from. Is it because of the high depreciation rate, or the low rate of required return, or something else? Can anyone explain?

The $30 and $15 are the opportunity costs of capital for the debtholders and shareholders. What remains, which is $61 and $76, are the value added for the shareholders.

Taking the EP and discounting them by WACC, we get:

$61/1.101 = 55.45

$76/1.102 = 62.81

NPV or Market Value Added (MVA) = 55.45 + 62.81 = 118.26 (total value added over the original investment)

The total company value would then be the original investment plus MVA = $300m + $118.26m = $418.26m.

Okay, I kinda get the clue now. There is a going concern assumption, so the value is still in the company, but is not explicitly shown as money return. Right?

Yes. The value is added on top of the original book value of capital.

Thank you so much! :slightly_smiling_face: