Economics texts - which books?!

As we all know by now, the Econ part of the readings and LOSs have changed entirely from last year. I am one of those who’s got the 2006 Schweser Notes to study, but would like to know where the new Econ texts are coming from. For some reason CFAI no longer mentions which textbooks their readings are coming from on their website - I guess in order to get everyone to “splurge” on their wonderful bookset which you can safely discard come January - nevermind the waste - mother nature can take one for the CFA team. And don’t get me wrong here - I think the CFA designation is still a very noble one and I’m enthusiastically pursuing it, but this whole “buy our sh*t” mantra that CFAI assumed drives me nuts! Seriously, how much value do you put on CFAI’s reprinting of chapters from different books? In my world, they add zero value. At least up until this year they had the decency of crediting the original authors in their Study Session Outlines so I could look them up online and go to the source. Now I have to first buy their bookset before I can even find out the authors of the readings?! Unbelievable. Anyways, enough of the rant. My question is, could someone please tell me where the new Econ readings are from so I can go buy that book and quietly continue my studies without bothering you, good folks ?

BTW _ I would like to know too…

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/university/pdf/cfaprogramcurriculum_source_textbooks.pdf

wow, good job digging this up, hueion!!! Thank you so much!

I believe most of the economic readings are from Michael Parkin.

Is Econ really that different from 2006 Schweser Notes??? Where did you read that? What other part need reviewing? mayhem - Are you planning on buying that reading from Michael Parkin’s books? I failed Econ in June and do not want to do the same again.

I thought of buying Economics by Michael Parkin. It is too expensive now $160. It is 8th edition Economics plus MyEconLab plus eBook 2-semester Student Access Kit (8th Edition) (MyEconLab Series) (Hardcover) http://www.amazon.com/Economics-MyEconLab-2-semester-Student-Access/dp/0321423003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0669167-4435102?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188580143&sr=8-1 What is exactly the package contains? Not sure what is MyEconLab or Student access kit. Is it worth to buy this book? Does it helps for l2 and l3 exams also? I took long time back basic course on Economics. I felt very difficult to understand the basic concepts in the beginning. After reading number of times and help from this fourm, I am comfortable now. I will wait until November for any used book for $120. If it is very good, I will buy now. let me know Thanks

rene01 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is Econ really that different from 2006 Schweser > Notes??? I believe it’s quite different. > > Where did you read that? > http://www.schweser.com/whats_new.php > What other part need reviewing? Corporate Finance > > mayhem - Are you planning on buying that reading > from Michael Parkin’s books? > Yes, I am.

chinni234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought of buying Economics by Michael Parkin. > It is too expensive now $160. It is 8th edition > > Economics plus MyEconLab plus eBook 2-semester > Student Access Kit (8th Edition) (MyEconLab > Series) (Hardcover) Chinni, the required reading is actually from the 7th ed, according to http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/university/pdf/cfaprogramcurriculum_source_textbooks.pdf You can buy it for like $15-20 used from either half.com or amazon

Mayhem, Thanks for reply. I knew that recommended one is 7th edition. I thought 8th edition reflects up to date. If I can get 7th edtion for $15, I might buy it as well for time being. I appreciate if anybody can compare 7th to 8th edition. I guess CFA committee might recommend 8th edition for level 2. thanks Chinni

In first year my economics prof jokingly said that the exams don’t change from year to year, but the answers do

How different could they be? No question which I would buy…