Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)- CFA Designation

Hi,

I am posting on AF after a very long time. I am in the process of applying for Immigration to Canada. In order to apply for Federal Skilled Worker Visa, an applicant has to obtain ‘‘Education Credential Assessment Report’’ from a Government Approved Agency in Canada which costs around CAD 300. After doing some research and asking some experienced people who have knowledge about immigration procedures, I am told that I might have to get one for the CFA credential as well whereas some say that CFA Institute is not a recognized educational institute for immigration purposes.

I am very frustrated. CFA Institute always stresses on the fact that the CFA credential is your passport to compete in the international arena. Waivers are given by regulatory institutes, and if I am not wrong by qualification examinations in Canada. Do you think it is true that I have to get an ECA for the CFA credential? They can always refuse to assess it citing the reason that CFA Institute is not a recognized institute for Immigration purposes.

Please guide me according to your knowledge or if you know someone who has experience in this area.

Thanks.

I’m so sorry you were misled, but CFAI says nothing of that. I’m not sure Canada has much motivation to bring in Charterholders since there are so many already, and not much demand outside of select markets. If you were a plumber, then you’d be fast tracked. But a Charterholder? You better have a job first. I mean they do list Financial Analyst as a wanted skill set, but I don’t think there is much shortage. Another case of “should have been a plumber.”

Sorry to hear that. I’m also sorry to say that this is just the beginning of your frustration in regards to finding a job in Canada. Canadian employers stress “Canadian experience” through the roof.

I wasn’t misled. There are other exams and courses to qualify for an investment profession in a lot of countries but CFA credential is preferred due to its global acceptance. A simple google search could have been helpful…

**CFA qualification is described by The Economist as “the gold standard” and as a “passport to a career in international finance” by the Financial Times , the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) qualification is the single most widely recognised qualification within the global investment community. CFA is often referred to as a professional global passport for employment and other purposes.**

My question revolves around the rumour about the global acceptance of CFA qualification and whether it is COMPLETELY true.

As far as getting a job in Canada is concerned; that shall remain my problem, my dear friend. Please try to focus on what is being asked. Thank you

Really tjack82b? Well luckily I do have a support system in Canada and a place to live. I know it’s a tough ride but prepared to start from the bottom… or no bottom.

Maybe, I should have been a plumber after all…

^ That quote is from CFAI?

when they say the CFA is a passport, it doesn’t actually mean there’s any recognization of CFA as a waiver for any international work status. and if you interpreted it that way, then it’s really your own fault for not doing your homework properly. I htink the wording was clearly in advertisement form, and was vague enough that you should have looked it up yourself.

Oh thank God someone actually knows what they exactly mean when they say CFA is a passport. Thank you iteracom.

For the rest of you on AF:

I just want to know ‘‘do you think the Canadian Government should ask for an ECA for CFA credential?’’ A credential for which exam candidates appear from over 140 countries. The exam, text books everything is same all over the world. AND should CFA Institute make any efforts in this regard? Does anyone on this forum had any experience with the immigration process of Canada and was asked to submitt this report? Please share your thoughts.

ECA stands for Educational Credential Assessment. It verifies that your foreign degree/diploma/or any other credential is valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada. It doesn’t validates your work experience.