Elan Videos

Hi, first post, but been lurking since level I…

I’m studying with Elan for Level II. Mixed feelings about it…BUT

I get really really excited at an end of a video when Peter says, “See you guys in the next video, Corporate Finance…”

Then, I open the next video and who is it - Not Peter, it’s Basit. Then I cringe and think, do I or don’t I watch.

If all the videos were with Peter…the time would go by much faster!

As soon as I see Basit, I open my books and skip the videos.

He doesnt teach, he reads to put you to sleep.

I used Schweser for Level I and I thought Holmes was pretty good…

So, the dream team for video lectures would be Olinto and Holmes… At least for me, that would be a more enjoyable watching experience.

However, I am starting to think I would be better served to just read and work questions, since I am starting to think that I do not learn the best through audio/visual. More so of a experiential learner.

I thought Basit did a very good on the videos for pension accounting and swaps.

I am not agreeing with a lot of you here…

I like Basit’s videos. (somewhat more than Peter’s)

The only problem is that the lectures of both are little slow and lengthy.

I overcome it by increasing speed on my player to 1.5 (4 hour video finishes in little over 2.5 hours)

I do not agree that he “just” reads the notes.

Basit is more methodical and his lectures can be long (the derivations of equations he occasionally does is probably too much), but if you’ve got the patience you’ll learn the topic. He’s a good teacher.

Olinto is tough to compete with.

How do you increase the speed on your player? Can you do that on the online videos???

I definitely agree on the Slow and Lengthy!!

not on online videos… i think if you have usb videos, you would be able to increase…

I prefer Basit’s videos as well. After I am done with his videos I can usually jump right into the questions and i do pretty well. Peter is obviously more engaging, but I couldn’t imagine him doing as good a job as Basit on the more difficult items like Econ growth theories, pensions, swaps, portfolio management credit derivatives etc. To tell you the truth I actually would have preferred it if Basit had done the MBS/PAC structures and the options videos rather than Peter.

The first Econ video on currency exchange rates dragged on too much. Other than that I’m fine with the pace of the videos as I take notes while watching and watch the videos before reading the text.

Andy Holmes is good, but I find schwesers coverage lacking when it comes to videos.

I agree that Peter is > Basit overall, however, Basit is better at heavy qauntitative material. Basit is even quoted as saying that Peter was to scared to teach one of the derivative sections haha. I’m sure he could do it fine though.

I love Peter’s quote for remembering the FRA valution formula;

“You would have to become a drug addict . You would definitly need drugs to remember this formula. Good luck trying to memorize that formula.”

Classic

I wish I had read this before purchasing the first econ video last night.

I watched for 3 hours, and realized that I wasn’t even half way through the video! 3 hours to explain interest rate parirt?! That’s insane. The first 3 hours should have been done in 15 minutes - max.

I wish I had read this before purchasing the first econ video last night.

I watched for 3 hours, and realized that I wasn’t even half way through the video! 3 hours to explain interest rate parity?! That’s insane. The first 3 hours should have been done in 15 minutes - max.

Oh man! You should’ve probably gone for the review seminar video for Econ.

I can’t agree more. I did the same thing!

I can’t agree more. I did the same thing!

I agree this the pension part