Email from CFAI

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > actuaryalfred Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > so, it’s okay to apply for the membership any > time > > I think I have enough qualified work experience > > right? > > btw, for my over 8 years of actuarial experience > (pensions mostly) guess how many months they gave > me? ZERO. That blows. I have 3 years in corporate finance (forecasting budgets for business units and for incremental projects), but I can’t imagine that getting past their filters. So not only do I have no valid years of experience, but because of the job market it’s tough to get the clock started!

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > actuaryalfred Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > so, it’s okay to apply for the membership any > time > > I think I have enough qualified work experience > > right? > > btw, for my over 8 years of actuarial experience > (pensions mostly) guess how many months they gave > me? ZERO. Maybe you should let Bruce know? :slight_smile:

How about make it up and hope they don’t check references :slight_smile: ?

needhelp, Would you mind posting your zero-value pension description? I’m in same boat, way more than 8 yrs, should count for something based on CFAI sample wording shouldn’t it? I’ve heard rumour that simply performing a valuation is not good enough, but if you’re doing ALM work (liab and cashflow forecasts) for the purposes of setting investment policy and asset allocation etc. that’s good isn’t it?

I need 2 more year experience :frowning:

TooOld4This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp, > > Would you mind posting your zero-value pension > description? I’m in same boat, way more than 8 > yrs, should count for something based on CFAI > sample wording shouldn’t it? I’ve heard rumour > that simply performing a valuation is not good > enough, but if you’re doing ALM work (liab and > cashflow forecasts) for the purposes of setting > investment policy and asset allocation etc. that’s > good isn’t it? The following got zero months credit: Captured the impact of long term pension liabilities on corporate balance sheets and income statements of clients. Performed actuarial valuations for public and private sector clients for funding and FASB purposes. Projected future cash flow for pension plans, determined discount rate and other assumptions to value liabilities. This also included data collection, valuations, generating reports, government filing, and disclosures. Performed special studies to determine the cost on a sponsor’s balance sheet of an increase in retirement benefits, and to determine the financial effect of a plant shutdown. Performed benefit calculations for pension plan participants.