Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005 film)

Another good film that every aspiring financial analyst should see.

Plot summary below…

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xIO731MAO4]

Enron dives from the seventh largest US company to bankruptcy in less than a year in this tale told chronologically. The emphasis is on human drama, from suicide to 20,000 people sacked: the personalities of Ken Lay (with Falwellesque rectitude), Jeff Skilling (he of big ideas), Lou Pai (gone with $250 M), and Andy Fastow (the dark prince) dominate. Along the way, we watch Enron game California’s deregulated electricity market, get a free pass from Arthur Andersen (which okays the dubious mark-to-market accounting), use greed to manipulate banks and brokerages (Merrill Lynch fires the analyst who questions Enron’s rise), and hear from both Presidents Bush what great guys these are. – TraderDaily

I think there is a decent chance Ken Lay is alive and on a tropical island

The book was way better. Up there with The Predators Ball, Barbarians at the Gate and Liar’s Poker Yes, I am sure that Ken is yuckin it up with Bruce Lee and Elvis on the island too

All I gotta say about Enron is that you shouldn’t hire a Tufts grad as your CFO. Enough said.

Sup Wendy,

You seem to be on a finance movie streak !!

I thought of making a finance-movies list thread. Actually, a sticky finance books & movies thread would be awesome.

I guess Wendy is our resident movie critic who specializes in finance movies that everyone has already seen.

I made a thread about this movide in 05 or 06 when it first hit dvd. LMAO

I’ve seen this movie a few times. It’s pretty decent… Since I live in Houston, a lot of this stuff hits home. I go by the former Enron building all the time, I know people who used to work for AA Houston and Enron, I know a girl who worked with the lawyer representing one of the whistleblowers, etc.

Hell…the YMCA I go to, Ken Lay and his wife are on the list of platinum doners or whatever…

Bethany McLean, the reporter who broke the story and wrote the book, is a babe.

idk about that…she is aight…we didn’t see her legs in pumps or anything…suspect at this piont.