EQ Rsch hiring "muscle"

so, say you go interview with a lead analyst and after talking with him for 1 hr, you go meet the DOR for another hour. As they decide if you will get hired, what exactly is happening??? Who has more “sway” in if the candidate gets the gig - the lead guy who you would work right under or the MD/director of rsch who essentially is the boss of your boss? Is it 50/50 ???

It completely depends on what has happened before. They probably both get veto power. Hiring is a strange crap shoot…

Assuming there isn’t a hiring freeze (which there is at most of the major banks these days), the hiring decision ultimately comes down to the person you’ll directly work under. However, more senior personnel like DOR’s generally will scout you out for your “softer skills” as well as your general culture fit. Generally, it’s obviously a good thing if the DOR likes you, but if he/she doesn’t, there can be a lot more downside. In other words, if the DOR thinks negatively of you, that information will be conveyed to the senior analyst who will most likely decide not to hire you. The reason is because the senior analyst will often respect the opinion of the DOR, and doesn’t want to be looked as incompetent by making a decision that’s contrary to what senior management thinks. In my view, there is more than enough available talent on the street such that it is not necessary to hire someone unless everyone who meets the candidate thikns favorably of them.

excellent reply, both of you, so THANKS.

Lots of randomness in hiring, but most hiring decisions I’ve seen look like this: If the manager you’ll be working with doesn’t like you, you’re pretty much out, unless there’s a budget issue and you’re the cheapest guy available by some margin. If the manager does like you, then higher-ups sniff you out. Just seeing a higher-up isn’t necessarily good indicator that the manager likes you, because sometimes it’s just pro-forma to pass you by. If the higher-up doesn’t like you, then you’re out, unless you are expected to have almost no interaction. If they do like you, and your manager is on the fence, they can make an important contribution. It’s also important to try to impress the higher-up person, because if you don’t get the job, they might think about you for some other position that becomes available. I’ve had this sort of thing happen more than once in my life.