Equity - FCINV

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is something missing from the below forumla from Kaplan. I’m attempting to answer one of their EOC questions and if I apply this formula I get the wrong answer when calculating FCInv after sale of an asset.

Question details - Begin gross assets = 90, ending gross assets = 136 , Begin accum dep = 30, ending accum dep = 40

Asset with intial book value of 19 was sold for 10, book value at time of sale was 2.

Formula I used and sourced from Kaplan was -

FCinv = Ending Gross PPE - Beginning Gross PPE - gain on sale, however when applying this I do not get the right answer, any ideas why?? Thanks again

Is there a tax adjustment for the gain on the sale?

I encountered the same problem while solving it. recall that Gain/Losses on sale of Assets have two effects (one in Income statement and second in Balancesheet under Fixed Assets).

FCI = ending gross Assets - Beginning gross Assets - gain on sale of Assets = 136-90-10=36

Adjust NI as well bcoz we have added gain from sale of asset in NI = 50-10=40

Now, Apply formula :

40+10(dep)-36-4+0=10

^Correcting above statement : (recall that Gain/Losses on sale of Assets have two effects (one in Income statement and second in CF statement under CFI ).

Awesome! That makes sense now, thanks very much SS…

my pleasure :slight_smile: