Equity Research jobs

The postings for Equity Research jobs seems to be going down by the day. It’s almost impossible to see a listing for an Entry level Research job.If any of you has any leads , please let me know. sterngrad@gmail.com

ml.com

I see tons of equity research jobs available. You must not be looking hard enough. There is a lot less competition outside of NYC or Boston, and getting into ER and gaining some experience isn’t that difficult.

pacman, are u saying that ML is hiring in Research ? Red, I would really appreciate a little help. Maybe I am not looking at the right websites. Can you please point me to the right sources. I am currently in NY but open to relocating. Thanks.

Consider companies that not everyone in the world are targeting. Like Stifel Nicolaus, RBC, both companies are hiring and growing. If you’re not desperate for something right now, join NYSSA and network like crazy.

Red, Thanks a lot. I have been trying to get sponsorship for the Associate membership of NYSSA. I am sort of desperate since I wanted to get started in Research ASAP. Can you or anyone you know sponsor me for an Associate membership of the NYSSA ?

Taz, I am in DC and have a Student Membership in the DC Society. Down here we don’t need sponsors. Looks like NYSSA has more levels of membership. What kind of background do you have and what kind of research do want to do (buy-side or sell-side)?

Red, I work for a BB in NY in their Technology strategy group. My job involves working with tech vendors , understading the trends in technology and aligining it with the business needs of the bank , creating tech roadmaps etc… I also got an MBA 2 years ago but I was enjoying what I was doing and did not really make a career switch when I graduated .I cleared Level 1 last December and will be taking the Series 7 soon. I am actually indifferent to buy-side or sell-side at this point . All I need is a break. Sounding too desperate , i am afraid :slight_smile:

taz722 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Red, > > I work for a BB in NY in their Technology > strategy group. My job involves working with tech > vendors , understading the trends in technology > and aligining it with the business needs of the > bank , creating tech roadmaps etc… > I also got an MBA 2 years ago but I was enjoying > what I was doing and did not really make a career > switch when I graduated .I cleared Level 1 last > December and will be taking the Series 7 soon. I > am actually indifferent to buy-side or sell-side > at this point . All I need is a break. Sounding > too desperate , i am afraid :slight_smile: why don’t you network with those banks? Sounds like thats your best shot there

Yeah, your best bet is to talk to your HR about internal opportunities. Networking when you have a job is much easier than networking when you don’t have a job. Tons of buyside shops at mutual fund companies are hiring right now - Franklin Templeton, Capital Group, AllianceBernstein, Putnam - just to name a few. And if you are open to leaving the area, there are opportunities that exist in San Diego, LA or San Fran (with much less competition than NYC). I am looking at jobs out in Cali right now. I think the lifestyle is more fun. But also definitely check out the bigger regionals like RBC and Stifel, they’re definitely hiring. Good luck!

Red’s - any recommendations on headhunters/sites to check out for Cali postings?

Red’s Cigar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, your best bet is to talk to your HR about > internal opportunities. Networking when you have > a job is much easier than networking when you > don’t have a job. > > Tons of buyside shops at mutual fund companies are > hiring right now - Franklin Templeton, Capital > Group, AllianceBernstein, Putnam - just to name a > few. And if you are open to leaving the area, > there are opportunities that exist in San Diego, > LA or San Fran (with much less competition than > NYC). I am looking at jobs out in Cali right now. > I think the lifestyle is more fun. But also > definitely check out the bigger regionals like RBC > and Stifel, they’re definitely hiring. Good luck! I disagree. First off, I’ve lived in California my entire life (SF and currently LA), and have follow the job market here for AM jobs closely for some time now. There is no way Asset Management jobs here are any easier to come by, or are any less competitive than in NY. In fact, I firmly believe the job market is more fierce here than in NY, particularly for Equity Research/Managment roles. First off, there are less securities related jobs here in general but roughly the same amount of people seeking them in relative to a NYC or Chicago. Compounding this, for you equity guys, most of the asset management jobs here are related to fixed income, chiefly, MBS and ABS origination and management. Granted, there is a small equity presence. It is primarily a hodge podge of boutiques and hedge funds with only a couple hundred million, maybe a few billion under management. As has been already stated, the lifestyle here attracts many, particularly industry veterans from the Northeast. These folks eat up the bulk of openings at the larger shops i.e. Cap Group, Franklin, PIMCO, TCW, etc. Lastly, most of the smaller shops running equities are way under the radar of even most headhunters. The industry is cottage, people get jobs through people almost exclusively. Put it this way, all the shops I will be applying to, assuming I pass level one, most of you would I guarantee would never have heard of. I only know of them because I live here have either stumbled on to them or had a friend of a friend whose dad gave me a name (get my drift). Now by no means am I saying breaking into the CA asset management market is a conundrum. Hardly, and I would rather take my chances here over everywhere else in the union besides maybe Austin, Chi-Town, Stamford, Boston and of course NYC. The point I want to drive home is, don’t think it’s going to be any easier here than anywhere else. And when your an intern here, probably at some bond shop (like I was), or a student, and you express interest in equities, for the most part, your told to pack it up a move back east. Nevertheless, it can be done, so for those of you with you heart set on making a living as an ER analyst in SF or LA or where ever – go for it. I would just take any claims of less competition to entry with a grain of salt, and definitely would not bank on it.

Thanks for the responses guys. The bank that I am currently at is not too keen on internal mobility. hence, I need to look outside. If any of you has any ideas on getting Associate membership at NYSSA , please let me know. Any good recruiters in NY for entry level jobs ?

Any friend with a CFA in New York needs to be a member of the local society, and can therefore write a reference for you. Also, you can call up their membership guy and talk to them about it. If people are new to the region or have other problems, they have been known to bend the rules a little bit, provided that they feel you’re serious and will fit in with the goals of the society.