ER analysts - do you feel this?

buddha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Etienne Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Mez Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Hey Etienne, how many hrs do you work > > currently? > > > > > > My contract hours are 9.30-17.30. Most people > of > > my rank work 8.45-18.30. I get in a about the > > same and probably leave around 19.30. As I > said, > > though, when I leave, I do so with a stack of > > reading or rough meeting notes to write-up. > > u guys don’t “huddle” before the market opens? Hell no! That would be against everything we stand for. Genuinely long-term house. Rarely even look at quarterly or semi-annual results. I presume the 9.30 start-time is intended to reflect this (as well as facilitate everyone’s commute to the office).

Etienne Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > buddha Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Etienne Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Mez Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > Hey Etienne, how many hrs do you work > > > currently? > > > > > > > > > My contract hours are 9.30-17.30. Most > people > > of > > > my rank work 8.45-18.30. I get in a about > the > > > same and probably leave around 19.30. As I > > said, > > > though, when I leave, I do so with a stack of > > > reading or rough meeting notes to write-up. > > > > u guys don’t “huddle” before the market opens? > > > Hell no! That would be against everything we stand > for. Genuinely long-term house. Rarely even look > at quarterly or semi-annual results. I presume > the 9.30 start-time is intended to reflect this > (as well as facilitate everyone’s commute to the > office). Sound like a great place to work on many levels Etienne…

Etienne, it sounds like you have a real drive and passion for your drive…maybe you’ve found your calling? Again, I think what you’re experiencing is not career-specific but is rather characteristic for people that like what they do. I felt that way when I started in equity research at first, but after a while it just started to wear on me…that’s when I realized I’d be better off moving onto something else.

I work in ER and would need 45h in a day to learn everything I need to to be perfectly comfortable … so that’s out of the question. I just started my own co. on the sideline. I plan to grow it to a point where I can live off from it and then quit the corporate thing. Maybe that’s one thing you want to consider.

those are EXCELLENT hours! even keeping in mind the work u bring home :slight_smile: Etienne Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mez Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey Etienne, how many hrs do you work > currently? > > > My contract hours are 9.30-17.30. Most people of > my rank work 8.45-18.30. I get in a about the > same and probably leave around 19.30. As I said, > though, when I leave, I do so with a stack of > reading or rough meeting notes to write-up.

Alayle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work in ER and would need 45h in a day to learn > everything I need to to be perfectly comfortable > … so that’s out of the question. > > I just started my own co. on the sideline. I plan > to grow it to a point where I can live off from it > and then quit the corporate thing. > > Maybe that’s one thing you want to consider. Your own co. is related to ER or something else?

Etienne Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alayle Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I work in ER and would need 45h in a day to > learn > > everything I need to to be perfectly > comfortable > > … so that’s out of the question. > > > > I just started my own co. on the sideline. I > plan > > to grow it to a point where I can live off from > it > > and then quit the corporate thing. > > > > Maybe that’s one thing you want to consider. > > > Your own co. is related to ER or something else? No, following’s CFA advise to diversify hehehe more common sense than anything I’d say