Essay format on exam day

I know its going to computer format, but how are test takers going to be expected to answer essay problems. Especially ones with calculations? I have tried to find info on it but haven’t seen any explanation. I am thinking about a problem showing a swap position or something like that where you would need to show direction of payments and what not. I don’t see how this could be done without being very time consuming on a computer. Or what if you were calculating a standard deviation? There is no square root symbol on a keyboard and doing a 3 portfolio standard deviation calculation on keyboard will take forever compared with writing it. It just seems like they should let everyone know what will be expected on the answers in this new format. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I would expect that CFAI will let you scan your written responses. Assuming your exam requires it, a slim scanner should be available for use right next to your monitor.

Even I am curious… However, I don’t rule out the possibility of stylus or a pen tablet

I read on the CFA website that you only need to select the right answer. Just to earn you extra credit in case your answers wrong, you can show the working.

1 Like

Select the right answer? That would be like the item set questions then. Not structured response.

Or type the correct numerical answer.

https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/programs/cfa/exam/computer-based-exams

I have always admired people who write stories, books. I have no ability for this.

I am really surprised CFAI hasn’t provided enough information about this!!!

I know, this just makes me extra nervous!! time is already tight. they shouldn’t punish us for the lousy technology.

I’m a bit surprised that they don’t have cheap tablet computers so that candidates can write their answers on the screen. They could practically do it with Kindles.

what i’m really worried is the integrity of this exam. from where i came from candidates will absolutely communicate (i.e. cheat).

Just wondering if we are still able to bring in pens/pencils to the computer room and any blank papers provided for upcoming CBT exams? For other CBT exams such as CIPM exams also administered by CFAI, there are blank papers provided at each computer terminals and they are to submitted back before u left the computer room.

I don’t believe so. All writing materials are provided except calculator.