Essay Questions

I’m still struggling to find out what exactely is required in the essay questions. The LOS command word list is very helpful but still the list deosn’t elaborate on the length on the approperiate answers or doesn’t list some examples of the required details. For example, a question in reading 39 says “Discuss risk exposures Smith should report?” The schweser have the answer in almost one full page. I don’t expect that this is required by CFA as this require at least 20 minutes to write it up. Is there any certain criteria that CFA uses to evaluate the answers and whether the answer should be granted a full credit or not? One important question also not sure if anyone has any feedback. Can we use shortcuts instead of full words? For example, instead of writing maximum, investments, … etc I write max, invst, etc. Or even more extreme, instead of saying increase or decrease just having an upper arrow or downward arrow

mohdlawati Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m still struggling to find out what exactely is > required in the essay questions. The LOS command > word list is very helpful but still the list > deosn’t elaborate on the length on the > approperiate answers or doesn’t list some examples > of the required details. > > For example, a question in reading 39 says > “Discuss risk exposures Smith should report?” > > The schweser have the answer in almost one full > page. I don’t expect that this is required by CFA > as this require at least 20 minutes to write it > up. > > Is there any certain criteria that CFA uses to > evaluate the answers and whether the answer should > be granted a full credit or not? > > One important question also not sure if anyone has > any feedback. Can we use shortcuts instead of full > words? For example, instead of writing maximum, > investments, … etc I write max, invst, etc. Or > even more extreme, instead of saying increase or > decrease just having an upper arrow or downward > arrow I have been told to write everything in bullet points. Don’t know how that is going to work out. On your second question, DO NOT USE SHORT FORMS, if someone is not familiar with your short forms, then you could end up losing marks on that question.

I struggled with this as well until I called up a buddy who crushed LIII last year. It seems the only way to get some real practice w/ the essays is to look at the practice exams. I’d recommend looking into a schweser AM exam to get an idea of what you’re dealing with. They give a precise and quick answer, but as the above poster said, do not use short-forms, use complete words. My plan is to look at V2’s morning essays to prepare and then take mocks w/ V1 full exams and the CFAI exams. GL man.

idreesz Wrote: > On your second question, DO NOT USE SHORT FORMS, > if someone is not familiar with your short forms, > then you could end up losing marks on that > question. I agree. You save only a marginal amount of time by using short forms, and the correctors will probably not like it.