Essays for B-schools

Anybody else thinks this is harder than the whole MBA curriculum!! Any suggestions for a good acceptable essay. Can I lie in the same?

Most adcom’s are looking for something more creative than the traditional essay, so you should think outside the box a bit more. Try showing your softer side for example. On my application this was the sole contents of my essay: Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. > Can I lie in the same? No problem. In this country everyone does it – there’s not a captain of industry who doesn’t know how to bend the truth, forcing it to submit to his will. Nice guys finish last – just keep repeating that to the mirror and you’ll do fine. Best of luck!

Thanks Darien. Did you seriously include that whole poem in your essay? You wrote it or you quoted that with its source? I do have 100 points in my mind to write about and usually i end up with 100 abstract lines. Just need to connect them and I should be fine. Do they show sympathy to what you right? Any idea?

Wow DH, I did not know you were Robert Frost…wait one minute I thought he was dead…

anishcandy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anybody else thinks this is harder than the whole > MBA curriculum!! Any suggestions for a good > acceptable essay. Can I lie in the same? http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/

thanks abacus. That didn’t help.

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most adcom’s are looking for something more > creative than the traditional essay, so you should > think outside the box a bit more. Try showing > your softer side for example. On my application > this was the sole contents of my essay: > > Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, > And sorry I could not travel both > And be one traveler, long I stood > And looked down one as far as I could > To where it bent in the undergrowth; > > Then took the other, as just as fair, > And having perhaps the better claim, > Because it was grassy and wanted wear; > Though as for that the passing there > Had worn them really about the same, > > And both that morning equally lay > In leaves no step had trodden black. > Oh, I kept the first for another day! > Yet knowing how way leads on to way, > I doubted if I should ever come back. > > I shall be telling this with a sigh > Somewhere ages and ages hence: > Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— > I took the one less traveled by, > And that has made all the difference. > > > Can I lie in the same? > > No problem. In this country everyone does it – > there’s not a captain of industry who doesn’t know > how to bend the truth, forcing it to submit to his > will. Nice guys finish last – just keep > repeating that to the mirror and you’ll do fine. > > Best of luck! Hahaha awesome. F*cking with the noobs never gets old!

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most adcom’s are looking for something more > creative than the traditional essay, so you should > think outside the box a bit more. Try showing > your softer side for example. On my application > this was the sole contents of my essay: > > Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, > And sorry I could not travel both > And be one traveler, long I stood > And looked down one as far as I could > To where it bent in the undergrowth; > > Then took the other, as just as fair, > And having perhaps the better claim, > Because it was grassy and wanted wear; > Though as for that the passing there > Had worn them really about the same, > > And both that morning equally lay > In leaves no step had trodden black. > Oh, I kept the first for another day! > Yet knowing how way leads on to way, > I doubted if I should ever come back. > > I shall be telling this with a sigh > Somewhere ages and ages hence: > Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— > I took the one less traveled by, > And that has made all the difference. > > > Can I lie in the same? > > No problem. In this country everyone does it – > there’s not a captain of industry who doesn’t know > how to bend the truth, forcing it to submit to his > will. Nice guys finish last – just keep > repeating that to the mirror and you’ll do fine. > > Best of luck! nice… +1

Sic transit gloria mundi… :wink:

anishcandy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks abacus. That didn’t help. it should have, unless you’ve been there before, in which case you can be a little more polite. how much time did you spend looking around there? spend some time in the forums and see what others are talking about. i read a lot of that stuff to help me know the best way to, i don’t like using this word but, spin my story. the whole thing is about being able to tell who you are wihout trying to game the adcoms. they read tons of these and can usually see through the crap. they’re tough if you’re trying to be honest, which is something you should do, b/c they force you to be a little introspective (except for those schools that ask strange, off the wall questions). my advice: think long and hard about why it is you want/need an mba and why that school is the best place to get it. once you do that, you’re story will probably fall into place and will sound genuine when you tell it. then, have someone else read it to correct all the places you messed up. i believe that if you don’t know why you want an mba, when you get there you’ll likely follow the herd to consulting or banking and then become part of the churn in those firms when you realize you really don’t like it as much as you thought you would. i’m a firm believer of not going to school unless you know pretty well what you want to do and are comfortable with the consequences; its really expensive.

Thanks for the feedback mlh.

what’s an anishcandy anyway? it doesn’t sound all that palatable…maybe not my type of candy.

Guys, never lie in your essay’s that you submit to the B-schools you are applying for. Mirror the truth always, I have met the Harvard Interview committee/panelist in an MBA fare in NYC @ Hyatt … and he told the class, never to do so!! So I will not lie when I am doing the applications. Rest still stays on you. - Dinesh S

Best $20 you will spend. http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Into-Top-Programs/dp/0735204233/ref=ed_oe_p

ryguy904 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Best $20 you will spend. > > http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Into-Top-Programs/dp > /0735204233/ref=ed_oe_p I agree. I bought it awhile back and you’d be doing yourself a favor if you bought it early on in the application process.