Essential Excel Skills

Next time you’re at a funeral, start asking people about when to hold the next keg party.

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP are for amateurs and poseurs. Learn OFFSET and MATCH if you want to be where it’s at.

cjones65 Wrote: > Learn OFFSET and MATCH if you want to be where > it’s at. learn how to marinate stock certificates and season to taste

Ok so I’m in Toronto. Any idea how I’m to get you these booklets and CD-Roms. Seems costly given that the course itself is only about $550. Willy

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Next time you’re at a funeral, start asking people > about when to hold the next keg party. Okay d-bag, if Excel is comparable to a keg party in your mind, you’ve got some personal issues. I’m just as upset as the next guy about the economy/markets but it’s not the end of the world and some of us have a future to plan for. WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok so I’m in Toronto. Any idea how I’m to get you > these booklets and CD-Roms. Seems costly given > that the course itself is only about $550. > > Willy Didn’t realize you were outside of the States, don’t worry about it. Can you point me in the right direction as to which material you believe is the most beneficial? Thanks Willy…

WillyR, could you please let me know the full tittle of the book WSP? I will buy the book . it is a good time to sharpen Excell skills though mine is not too bad. Thanks

I mean I would simply buy the WSP premium package. Again its $550 but I really learned a lot from it and was especially impressed about the quickness of the content’s presentation: you get right into financial modeling in about 5 minutes. I just felt that it was a really great self-study tool. In fact, I may at some point return to it just for a refresh. Unfortunatley I’ve got a lot on the go: markets tanking, getting married, MDs hassling us to find new clients etc. etc. Willy

Just google Wall Street Prep. willy

I could go for a beer right now - so maybe I do have issues.

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP are for amateurs and poseurs. > > Learn OFFSET and MATCH if you want to be where > it’s at. which would be a bad unauditable place that no one else can find… Try SUMIF instead.

willy i’m in toronto let me borrow WSP from you for 2 weeks i’ll even ship it to buddy in new jersey when i’m done if you’d like

1. benninga 2. wall street prep 3. learn on the job I was on an interview and the DOR asked “do you know macros” I am not bing on macros and regret that. I may not get the job b/c of my answer???

Does WSP cover Macros/VBA as well?

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does WSP cover Macros/VBA as well? NO

TheBigBean Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cjones65 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP are for amateurs and > poseurs. > > > > Learn OFFSET and MATCH if you want to be where > > it’s at. > > > which would be a bad unauditable place that no one > else can find… > > Try SUMIF instead. More like the array formula, {YOUREAMORON(IF(you=think sumif can replace lookup functions because they serve completely different purposes,IF(your name ryhmes with ‘the wig cream’,1,0)),0))}

daj, which book by benninga is good? Also, when you forecast sales, eps, etc…so that you can do DCF valuation, do you try to look at MD&A discussion in 10K to get your own forecast or do you look at bloomberg (or other sources including other research reports) and get the forecast from there. Or use a combination of the two? Also, when some models tell you to use historical growth rates for your forecast, how far do you go back to get the historical growth rates? 3-5 years? thanks.

BTW, unless you have 07 it is SUM(IF(…NOT SUMIF. Whenever you use SUM(IF you have to put in in an array, or it will not look at each piece of data, just the first. and, this is kind of ridiculous today, but whatever.

> > which book by benninga is good? Also, when you > forecast sales, eps, etc…so that you can do DCF > valuation, do you try to look at MD&A discussion > in 10K to get your own forecast or do you look at > bloomberg (or other sources including other > research reports) and get the forecast from there. > Or use a combination of the two? I “try” to spend most of my time here, so i see modelling sales in 4 options/ways 1. regression. you can pretend sales are driven by an independent variable, like home sales or GDP, etc 2. extrapolate from past growth rates and straight line that 3. if you can, REV = units * ARPU. this works well for video games. 4. another thing I tried but a PM did not like - determine size of market, see how fast it is growing, then ask mgmt what “share” they realistically think they can get… for example. next year sales = companys share next year * (size of market today * 1 + g) > > Also, when some models tell you to use historical > growth rates for your forecast, how far do you go > back to get the historical growth rates? 3-5 > years? > > thanks. I do 3 years back, 5 years forward. ANY OTHER TOUGHTS OUT THERE??? I NEED MODELING HELP TOO!!!

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheBigBean Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > More like the array formula, > {YOUREAMORON(IF(you=think sumif can replace lookup > functions because they serve completely different > purposes,IF(your name ryhmes with ‘the wig > cream’,1,0)),0))} Perhaps I’m a fool, but it is what I do for a job, so I’m fairly confident. I’m not sure your response really justifies a reply, but in any case… For example, try =SUMIF(RangeOfDates,DateYouWant,CorrespondingValueRange). That’s equivalent, assuming you are returning a numerical value, to INDEX(CorrespondingValueRange,MATCH(DateYouWant,RangeOfDates,0)) which is equivalent to some unauditable OFFSET MATCH combination that you might use, and superior to LOOKUP variations as you don’t need to repeat the range of dates all the time. It is also more stable in the opinion of many…

How about Pivot tables :slight_smile: