Essential Excel Skills

Hey all, I feel I have an intermediate working knowledge of Excel from my undergrad degree and work experience but I wanted to see what everyone thought were the essential Excel skills for a job in finance i.e. equity research, investment analysis, portfolio management etc. What do you think you use the most in your career and how did you go about learning? I’d love to hear what AF has to say, thanks.

I propose a complete moratorium on question like excel skills while the world is melting down.

I concur.

Programming skills in VBA for excel are very nice to have

Haha, I’m sorry Joey. But people still need to use Excel to analyze how crappy things are unfortunately :frowning:

You don’t need excel to figure that out.

How to change font to red.

Everyone’s a comedian… LOL

Excel is good to know but I would say that if you want the essential FINANCE skills that Excel can provide you with, a course like WSP or DealMAven is probably best. Willy

Thanks to strangedays and Willy for taking this question seriously… The rest of you guys are friggin’ jokesters.

I have my WSP booklet and CD rom. You’re more than welcome to it. I’m so busy that I won’t miss them. They’ll be no charge but I’d like them back in a quarter or two. W

Yea? I appreciate that, can you shoot me an e-mail please to discuss? dcallocchia@gmail.com Thanks!

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How to change font to red. good one

=IF(AND(WORLD MELTING DOWN=NOW,QUESTION=RELATES TO EXCEL SKILLS),“No way jose”, “Nobody cares”))

Innovative, keep 'em comin…

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > =IF(AND(WORLD MELTING DOWN=NOW,QUESTION=RELATES TO > EXCEL SKILLS),“No way jose”, “Nobody cares”)) I got an error when i tried that formula, this one works though: =IF(AND(WORLD MELTING DOWN=NOW(),QUESTION=RELATES TO EXCEL SKILLS),“No way jose”, “Nobody cares”)) Seriously though, know all the lookup formulas, especially vlookup and hlookup. knowing how to use index and match together is helpful too. this explanation is pretty good: http://www.wallstreetprep.com/blog/?blog_id=28

Thanks KrukVT, I’ll check it out.

What city are you located in? Willy

dcallocchia0322 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks KrukVT, I’ll check it out. that link was to the wsp blog, i forgot AF scrambles it

I’m in Northern New Jersey about a half hour from NYC…