Ethics - Additional Compensation

Case:

1. John is a junior analyst and he works as a waiter at restaurant at night with $2,000 monthly salary. John do not disclose it to his employer. Does he violates CFA standard?

2. What if John works as a independent director of restaurant with stable monthly salary and only need to attend the meeting quarterly (do not disclose either)?

I think so, he works extra hours… at night… it might affect his job functionality.

I think so, could compete with time at day job. Employer is entitled to be able to asses based on disclosure.

this quesito all depends. since this is salaried i would assume it does affect job functionality. if this was instead stated as a few hours on the weekend, then it would be fine.

Thanks sachin_patel, ro424, BaseballRedhawks.

What if John works as a independent director of restaurant with stable monthly salary and only need to attend the meeting quarterly?

Warning: if you’re adding speculation here you’re treading in dangerous ground. I would say no because it wouldn’t affect his job functionality, that is what we are analyzing here.