Ethics - Gifts from Clients Question

I was under the impression that you may accept a gift from a client, regardless of value, as long as it is not deemed to interfere with your objectivity in managing that account (ie: would influence you to give special treatment). You could accept this gift WITHOUT supervisor permission, but needed to disclose it in writing to your employer. “A gift from a client could be considered supplementary compensation. The potential for obtaining influence to the detriment of other clients, although present, is not as great as in situations where no compensation arrangement exists. Therefore, members and candidates may accept “bonuses” or gifts from clients but must disclose to their employers such benefits from clients.” (CFA Institute. Level 2 Volume 1 - Ethical and Professional Standards, Quantitative Methods, and Economics, 4th Edition. Pearson Custom Publishing 22). However, Schweser states you must obtain written consent from ALL parties involved. I’m going with CFA on this, however has anyone else run across this?

My impression was that any material gift from a client may be accepted as long as they are disclosed to your employer and do not result in any potential conflicts of interest. Typically this is to be decided by your employer (I think). Nonmaterial gifts do not need to be disclosed I believe, as it’s usually something like dinner or booze.

Client gifts need to be differentiated between: added compensation or gift. A client offers you a pair of seats to the yankees game if you achieve a 10% return on my portfolio next year, this is additional compensation and should be disclosed in writing and signed by employer. This is a crazy case but just watch out for additional compensation from client or is it just a gift for doing a great job in the past… Great job in the past, let your employer know only. Additional compensation, writing and approved

So what would you put for the following: Lindquist manages the portfolio of Martha Olson. Last year, Lindquist beat the benchmark portfolio for Olson by 180 basis points. In return for that performance, Olson gives Lindquist two third-row tickets to the NCAA basketball championship. Lindquist discloses this gift to his supervisor. Regarding the NCAA tickets, what action must Lindquist take to avoid a violation of Standard IV(B): Additional Compensation Arrangements? A) Obtain written consent from all parties involved. B) Disclose his receipt of the tickets to all other clients with the same investment objective as the Olson account. C) None. Lindquist’s actions do not violate Standard IV(B). * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Your answer: C was incorrect. The correct answer was A) Obtain written consent from all parties involved. Lindquist may accept this gift from a client as long as he obtains written consent from all parties involved. In this case, the only relevant party is his employer. (Study Session 1, LOS 2.a)

I think it depends on the value of compensation. If greater then $100 then written consent would be needed.

bump

Is supervisor same as employer ? The question ( or the answer choice ) seems to imply they are the same .

I believe so.

I think emplyer should be informed in writing